Russia fails to meet WADA deadline

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Remember that time where Russia cheated a whole bunch at sports, and that was the worst Kremlin thing we had to worry about?

Ah, those were the days.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Remember that time where Russia cheated a whole bunch at sports, and that was the worst Kremlin thing we had to worry about?

Ah, those were the days.
It's still a big story though lol

Basically biggest scandal in modern Olympic history, pretty much...

And it is continuing.

Some Russian athletes, for example, have been fighting to keep their medals through Russian courts: Russia's Alexandr Zubkov to keep Olympic title despite losing his gold medals

Fascinating to observe it all, from the sidelines...

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
It's still a big story though lol

Basically biggest scandal in modern Olympic history, pretty much...

And it is continuing.

Some Russian athletes, for example, have been fighting to keep their medals through Russian courts: Russia's Alexandr Zubkov to keep Olympic title despite losing his gold medals

Fascinating to observe it all, from the sidelines...
OK, so, I know you have lots of conversations with the folks back home, and those conversations are probably held with more frankness (and a deeper understanding, since it's Russian to Russian) than they would be in any other context. So what is their attitude about it, really?

"They say we're cheaters, but I don't believe it" (and you believe them that they don't believe it) ?

"They say we're cheaters, but that's OK, winning is everything, I don't care" ?

"Nobody says we're cheaters. We're awesome. Everyone loves us. The reports of cheating themselves are fake. Nobody says that" ?

"This is pretty fun, don't really give a damn either way *eats popcornovitch*" ?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
OK, so, I know you have lots of conversations with the folks back home, and those conversations are probably held with more frankness (and a deeper understanding, since it's Russian to Russian) than they would be in any other context. So what is their attitude about it, really?

"They say we're cheaters, but I don't believe it" (and you believe them that they don't believe it) ?

"They say we're cheaters, but that's OK, winning is everything, I don't care" ?

"Nobody says we're cheaters. We're awesome. Everyone loves us. The reports of cheating themselves are fake. Nobody says that" ?

"This is pretty fun *eats popcornovitch*"
Most unfortunately just believe the propaganda. That, you know, it's all a conspiracy by the West... :(

I mean, I get that some stuff that's been reported in the media here, like about FSB agents in Sochi, during the Olympics, sneaking around at night, replacing athletes piss vials seemed even to me a bit outlandish and Hollywoodish...

Bloody hell...

You would think a national security agency, the modern version of the KGB, no less, would not lower themselves to such crap...

But, OTOH, if Putin told them to, they'd do it... Most of those guys would cut own mother's throat if he ordered them to. Just the kind of people that work there...

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Most unfortunately just believe the propaganda. That, you know, it's all a conspiracy by the West... :(

I mean, I get that some stuff that's been reported in the media here, like about FSB agents in Sochi, during the Olympics, sneaking around at night, replacing athletes piss vials seemed even to me a bit outlandish and Hollywoodish...

Bloody hell...

You would think a national security agency, the modern version of the KGB, no less, would not lower themselves to such crap...

But, OTOH, if Putin told them to, they'd do it... Most of those guys would cut own mother's throat if he ordered them to. Just the kind of people that work there...
I don't know if I believe that either ... just that you can look at some fucking Russian athletes and know they're doped up from basic observation.

Doesn't matter what coo-coo for cocoa puff hypothesis they've got for how it happened, it happened. Shouldn't anyone be able to see that?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
For the record, I'm kind of against the whole apparatus. As long as a drug is not proven to damage an athlete's long term health, and the athlete is a consenting participant, they should be allowed to take it. It's just a different form of competition. Do you redesign a race car in innovative and previously unheard-of ways, within reason, in order to get an edge? Yeah ... except in the U.S. where racing is fucking stupid ... Why not everything else?

But if Russia won't respect the established rules, and we're not going to change them, that's bad.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Personally, I would just have separate competitions for those who dope and those who don't :D

In future, probably people are gonna have performance enhancing cybernetic implants and such too, that can turn you superhuman, basically, like Iron Man. Gonna open a whole new can of worms with that one...