Russians can shut down our nuclear power plants if they want to

Mar 2010
Indiana

Cyberattacks Put Russian Fingers on the Switch at Power Plants, U.S. Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/us/politics/russia-cyberattacks.html

The Trump administration accused Russia on Thursday of engineering a series of cyberattacks that targeted American and European nuclear power plants and water and electric systems, and could have sabotaged or shut power plants off at will.
United States officials and private security firms saw the attacks as a signal by Moscow that it could disrupt the West’s critical facilities in the event of a conflict.
They said the strikes accelerated in late 2015, at the same time the Russian interference in the American election was underway. The attackers had successfully compromised some operators in North America and Europe by spring 2017, after President Trump was inaugurated.
In the following months, according to a Department of Homeland Security report issued on Thursday, Russian hackers made their way to machines with access to critical control systems at power plants that were not identified. The hackers never went so far as to sabotage or shut down the computer systems that guide the operations of the plants... Snip...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Sep 2016
My own world
And Trump doesn't want to upset Putin so he isn't going to do much about the threat. Remind me who that hurts? Oh yeah the US and its people. Tell me again why people still don't get that Trump is Putin's bitch?

Reactions: 7 people

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
yes. All this has been going on since 2015 and has gotten progressively blatant. While Trump sits on his ass and does nothing unless he absolutely has no other choice.

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2018
Winnipeg, Canada
Learn to protect yourself better ... we are talking some serious chit here ... This is .gov we are talking about ... Money should be no object ...

Started with Obama's admin, if not sooner.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Is this like the alleged Russian hacking the power grid in Vermont story? Which was a fake news story.

And China, or North Korea, could do the same, if it is possible, with the nuke plants. So could a malicious individual.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Want to do something on the Social Security website, such as check your earnings history? They have hours. That's right, hours, they aren't up 24/7. Heh. Government at work.

Sep 2016
My own world
Is this like the alleged Russian hacking the power grid in Vermont story? Which was a fake news story.

And China, or North Korea, could do the same, if it is possible, with the nuke plants. So could a malicious individual.
Want to do something on the Social Security website, such as check your earnings history? They have hours. That's right, hours, they aren't up 24/7. Heh. Government at work.
You get your news from bat shit crazy sites and you have the gall to question sources. How about a statement from Trumps WH reported in Reuters?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration on Thursday blamed the Russian government for a campaign of cyber attacks stretching back at least two years that targeted the U.S. power grid, marking the first time the United States has publicly accused Moscow of hacking into American energy infrastructure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions-energygrid/in-a-first-u-s-blames-russia-for-cyber-attacks-on-energy-grid-idUSKCN1GR2G3

Reuters media bias rating is Center.
Go on allsides.com and read some news sites rated centre for a change

Last edited:

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
No, they cannot shut down our plants. They may be able to mess with the grid which carries the power from the plants, but they cannot shut down our plants. It is a closed system on the generation side. The transmission side had some wholes in their game last time I worked with them, but that was over two years ago.

I have worked with at least a dozen different nuclear plants (on site). My company supports about 70% of the nuclear power fleet.