Samoa pulls MMR vaccine after babies die

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
So tragic.

The Samoan government has launched an inquiry into the deaths of two one-year-old infants after a routine vaccination.

The babies were brought to Safotu Hospital in Savai'i on Friday, where they died within minutes of the receiving the MMR vaccine, Television New Zealand reported. Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi expressed his condolences to the families on Monday. "I have called a full inquiry into the circumstances leading up to this devastating incident which I do not take lightly," he said.

"There are already processes that will determine if negligence is a factor. And if so, rest assured those processes will be implemented to the letter to ensure that such a tragedy will not be repeated and those responsible will be made to answer." Leausa Take Naseri, director general of health, said he has halted the vaccination program until the inquiry's completion. He has also requested a forensic autopsy on the two babies, as the deaths are also being investigated by police. Hospital staff involved have also been removed for their own safety, Radio New Zealand reported. "We're also concerned for the safety of our workers especially the nurses who were involved because it's now easily blamed -- the finger is pointed towards the nurses," Naseri said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/health/samoa-mmr-baby-deaths-intl/index.html

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
So tragic.

The Samoan government has launched an inquiry into the deaths of two one-year-old infants after a routine vaccination.

The babies were brought to Safotu Hospital in Savai'i on Friday, where they died within minutes of the receiving the MMR vaccine, Television New Zealand reported. Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi expressed his condolences to the families on Monday. "I have called a full inquiry into the circumstances leading up to this devastating incident which I do not take lightly," he said.

"There are already processes that will determine if negligence is a factor. And if so, rest assured those processes will be implemented to the letter to ensure that such a tragedy will not be repeated and those responsible will be made to answer." Leausa Take Naseri, director general of health, said he has halted the vaccination program until the inquiry's completion. He has also requested a forensic autopsy on the two babies, as the deaths are also being investigated by police. Hospital staff involved have also been removed for their own safety, Radio New Zealand reported. "We're also concerned for the safety of our workers especially the nurses who were involved because it's now easily blamed -- the finger is pointed towards the nurses," Naseri said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/health/samoa-mmr-baby-deaths-intl/index.html
Interesting. However, I'm reminded of a great segment from the old Penn & Teller Bullshit show. [video=youtube;RfdZTZQvuCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo[/video]

Basically, it provides a great way to visualize the impact of vaccines even if you assume a small number of kids will be killed or severely harmed by them.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting. However, I'm reminded of a great segment from the old Penn & Teller Bullshit show. [video=youtube;RfdZTZQvuCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo[/video]

Basically, it provides a great way to visualize the impact of vaccines even if you assume a small number of kids will be killed or severely harmed by them.
It doesnt appear they feel this is the infants reaction to the vaccine but perhaps that the doses were either tainted or damaged in some way from improper storage. They also mention the nurses so I suppose its also possible they are concerned the doses were too high or not given properly. I am not sure if MMR needs to be refrigerated but I can imagine its possible that if on its journey to Samoa, something might have happened and allowed contaminants to get inside. Hopefully we will hear what happens and that it doesnt become a bigger issue.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
It doesnt appear they feel this is the infants reaction to the vaccine but perhaps that the doses were either tainted or damaged in some way from improper storage. They also mention the nurses so I suppose its also possible they are concerned the doses were too high or not given properly. I am not sure if MMR needs to be refrigerated but I can imagine its possible that if on its journey to Samoa, something might have happened and allowed contaminants to get inside. Hopefully we will hear what happens and that it doesnt become a bigger issue.
Most vaccines are refrigerated and some are stored frozen. MMR is given SubQ, or within a layer of fat for slow absorption. I am not sure either would cause immediate death...it could be a bad batch from the manufacturer.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Most vaccines are refrigerated and some are stored frozen. MMR is given SubQ, or within a layer of fat for slow absorption. I am not sure either would cause immediate death...it could be a bad batch from the manufacturer.
I hope not that would mean others all over would have the same batch. So far it seems confined to Samoa.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I hope not that would mean others all over would have the same batch. So far it seems confined to Samoa.
Vaccines are grouped by lot numbers and a batch under that lot # is recalled. I have thrown out thousands of dollars of vaccines because of tainted batches. I think a lot of it has to do with where the vaccines and drugs are being manufactured. Some Countries don't have the regulations that we do. China has produced a few problem drugs and vaccines...I can only imagine what their manufacturing facilities look like.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Vaccines are grouped by lot numbers and a batch under that lot # is recalled. I have thrown out thousands of dollars of vaccines because of tainted batches. I think a lot of it has to do with where the vaccines and drugs are being manufactured. Some Countries don't have the regulations that we do. China has produced a few problem drugs and vaccines...I can only imagine what their manufacturing facilities look like.
That stuff is what promotes the anti vaxxers. It used to be the side effects of vaccines but now fear of recalls or dirty conditions that taint vaccines?

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
That stuff is what promotes the anti vaxxers. It used to be the side effects of vaccines but now fear of recalls or dirty conditions that taint vaccines?
I agree 100% One of the biggest mistakes in the pharmaceutical industry is outsourcing the manufacturing of drugs. I think they do it as a work around regulation. When I managed a travel clinic/vaccine clinic, we had corporate travelers who traveled all over the world. One of the items we pushed was sterile needle kits and medication kits. The kits contained, IV start kits, suture kits, syringes, everything that we consider sterilized because some Countries do not follow OSHA or medical asepsis guidelines. This is definitely fodder for the anti-vaxxer's.