Sanders-Warren disputer jolts Bernies base into action

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Even by the standards of Bernie Sanders’ fundraising juggernaut, Tuesday was a big day: He raised $1.7 million from more than 100,000 small-dollar donors, his biggest debate-day haul of the 2020 campaign.

Sanders’ debate performance wasn’t the driving force behind the outpouring of cash. Rather, it was largely a response to his recent tensions with long-time ally Elizabeth Warren — a show of support and defiance that provides a window into the loyalty and motivation of Sanders’ grassroots base.

“In that campaign in 2016, you had a lot of duplicity from Democratic insiders and we saw for better or worse in leaked emails from the party — concrete evidence — that insiders were against him,” Sroka said. “And that fuels them today.”

After the Tuesday night debate, his supporters filled Twitter referring to Warren with snake emojis and caused “#LyingLiz;” “#NeverWarren;” and “#WarrenisaSnake” to trend Wednesday on the social media platform. Online, other supporters called Warren a liar and brought up her mistatements about having Native American ancestry. And they pointed out that Sanders — who has publicly advocated for women to be president for years — received more money from female donors than any other Democratic presidential candidate.

Reactions: Kontrary
Jun 2014
United States
Even by the standards of Bernie Sanders’ fundraising juggernaut, Tuesday was a big day: He raised $1.7 million from more than 100,000 small-dollar donors, his biggest debate-day haul of the 2020 campaign.

Sanders’ debate performance wasn’t the driving force behind the outpouring of cash. Rather, it was largely a response to his recent tensions with long-time ally Elizabeth Warren — a show of support and defiance that provides a window into the loyalty and motivation of Sanders’ grassroots base.

“In that campaign in 2016, you had a lot of duplicity from Democratic insiders and we saw for better or worse in leaked emails from the party — concrete evidence — that insiders were against him,” Sroka said. “And that fuels them today.”

After the Tuesday night debate, his supporters filled Twitter referring to Warren with snake emojis and caused “#LyingLiz;” “#NeverWarren;” and “#WarrenisaSnake” to trend Wednesday on the social media platform. Online, other supporters called Warren a liar and brought up her mistatements about having Native American ancestry. And they pointed out that Sanders — who has publicly advocated for women to be president for years — received more money from female donors than any other Democratic presidential candidate.

These are not the kind of people whose participation is helpful to any political party. Bernie Bros are the left-wing equivalent of the Republican Party's "Tea Party" faction. I'd rather see them supporting the Green Party. Their presence in the Democratic base drives away far more moderate voters than they replace and they aren't even reliable voters.

Reactions: DerpStateSally

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes they were, and the unintentionally made Trump look right that they are into collusion.
I don't even like Sanders. I think he's a fool and an economic illiterate. But that was bullshit. That wasn't journalism. That was advocacy. CNN clearly chose a side based on partisan political preferences.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
These are not the kind of people whose participation is helpful to any political party. Bernie Bros are the left-wing equivalent of the Republican Party's "Tea Party" faction. I'd rather see them supporting the Green Party. Their presence in the Democratic base drives away far more moderate voters than they replace and they aren't even reliable voters.
Yup. What I dont understand is why moderates dont show clips of Bernie saying how he plans to destroy the democratic party? He has said it many times in his career. Never understand why the DNC allows him in.

Jun 2014
United States
Yup. What I dont understand is why moderates dont show clips of Bernie saying how he plans to destroy the democratic party? He has said it many times in his career. Never understand why the DNC allows him in.

I don't understand why anyone supports Sanders. He's never accomplished much of anything in his life, aside from being elected and enjoying a cushy lifestyle on the taxpayer's dime.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I don't understand why anyone supports Sanders. He's never accomplished much of anything in his life, aside from being elected and enjoying a cushy lifestyle on the taxpayer's dime.
He is the quintessential hippie. I think some older people looking to relive the 60s and young people that think its all cool seem to be the backbone of his support. I just dont see the majority considering him acceptable.

Jun 2014
United States
He is the quintessential hippie. I think some older people looking to relive the 60s and young people that think its all cool seem to be the backbone of his support. I just dont see the majority considering him acceptable.

Adults who support Bernie are likely still having flashbacks from the '60s.

Nov 2013
NY

Yepp.. the dems with throw this upcoming election with their stupidity just like they did the last time.
Last time it was the bernie or bust idiots who literally voted trump over Clinton.. and this time it'll be the idiots who now suddenly hate Warren doing just the same.
Well, if they don't learn, i guess they don't deserve any better.

Reactions: NightSwimmer