Sandy Hook Parents Hit Alex Jones With Defamation Lawsuits

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I hope there is a hell for people like Alex Jones and anyone who frequents Infowars and believes the vile crap that is spewed on there.

[FONT=&amp]Alex Jones has spent years claiming the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School ― where a shooter killed 20 small children and six adults ― was faked. He has claimed the parents of these dead children are liars and “crisis actors.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Now, those parents are coming after him.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
In a pair of lawsuits filed late Monday, the parents of two children who died in the December 2012 shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, say Jones’ repeated lies and conspiratorial ravings have led to death threats. The suits join at least two other recent cases accusing the Infowars host of defamation.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Infowars’ practice of disseminating outright lies has led to serious consequences for the families of the Sandy Hook victims, the lawsuit says. In June of last year, Florida woman Lucy Richards, then 57, was sentenced to five months in prison for sending threats to Pozner.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
“You gonna die,” Richards told Pozner in one recorded voicemail message. “Death is coming to you real soon.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
As part of her sentence, Richards will no longer be allowed to access Infowars, according to the lawsuit.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
As of Tuesday morning, Infowars still had blatantly false stories posted on its website claiming the mass shooting was a hoax. “FBI SAYS NO ONE KILLED AT SANDY HOOK,” screams one headline.
[/FONT]
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sandy-hook-parents-have-just-hit-alex-jones-with-defamation-lawsuits/ar-AAvYhj2?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U143DHP

Reactions: 8 people
Jul 2014
Border Fence
The families are going to have to prove how Alex Jones crazy rants about SH affected them personally. How did it harm them?

Jones claiming something did not happen is not enough ...in my opinion.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The families are going to have to prove how Alex Jones crazy rants about SH affected them personally. How did it harm them?

Jones claiming something did not happen is not enough ...in my opinion.
People who have listened to Alex Jones and read Infowars have issued death threats to the families and apparently they've been harrassed by them.

Reactions: 1 person

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
People who have listened to Alex Jones and read Infowars have issued death threats to the families and apparently they've been harrassed by them.
Sounds like an IIED ("intentional infliction of emotional distress") case, except that that would almost certainly apply only to the people who actually issued the threats. Jones probably could not be held responsible for that - it would be impossible to show intent - so at most there might be negligent infliction, but that assumes it is a valid tort in that state (of which I have no idea).

Reactions: 3 people

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
As much as I would enjoy seeing this asshat go down, I would be surprised if this lawsuit actually did it.

Jul 2013
Ohio
Good for the Sandy Hook parents.
Even Alex Jones' ex-wife successfully sued him....no unsupervised contact with his kids.

Reminds me of the family of Seth Rich suing FoxNews/Hannity.

These conspiracy theorists need to be put in their place.
This negative attention on them would be good for the country.

Reactions: 2 people

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Sounds like an IIED ("intentional infliction of emotional distress") case, except that that would almost certainly apply only to the people who actually issued the threats. Jones probably could not be held responsible for that - it would be impossible to show intent - so at most there might be negligent infliction, but that assumes it is a valid tort in that state (of which I have no idea).
[MENTION=23697]Ian Jeffrey[/MENTION]

Basically, he defamed many of those involved by accusing them of being involved in a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, therefore affecting their standing in the community (so it is claimed ~ this would have to be proven I suspect). This incited others to harass, slander and libel these individuals, therefore can he not beheld culpable and responsible for his actions?

He has already admitted to a court that his show is a 'performance', so could he claim that his show is satire? Or could he also claim that he is merely repeating rumour, therefore his show is merely journalistic in nature (yeah, I know that's a stretch, but it may work for him)?

Would he have to prove his claims were true if the case were to be accepted?

There is a case where a woman was gaoled for harassment (making death threats) where she was inspired by a 'conspiracy website':

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandy-hook-conspiracy-theorist-gets-jail-time-death-threats-against-n769276

Should not these purveyors of slander and libel be accountable?

Your thoughts on these points would be welcome.

Last edited: