Sarah Huckabee Sanders hit with ethics complaint for calling on firing of Jemele Hill

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
The Democratic Coalition, an anti-Trump Super PAC, has filed an ethics complaint against White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders with the Office of Government Ethics.

The Coalition is firing back against Sanders after the press secretary said that Jemele Hill’s comments stating the President Donald Trump was a white supremacist were a*“fireable offense by ESPN.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders hit with ethics complaint for calling on firing of Jemele Hill | theGrio

feel free to read the text of the law (( here )).

It would appear from just reading it that Huckleberry Sanders is violating federal law. Which actually seems like common sense , if you just think about it a minute. What makes Sanders think she can stand there behind the WH press podium and call for the termination of anyone like that? Regardless of whether it's against the law it's obviously beneath the dignity of the WH. Jemele Hill was making a political statement on her private twitter account. It's was out of line and others have been terminated for similar actions. But, ESPN has disciplined her according to their own standards. The WH has no business interjecting themselves into the internal affairs of a private business entity in such a public manner. That's beyond inappropriate. Even for this WH. Especially, given Trump, himself, questioned Obama's birth place the entire time he was in office.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
She's not allowed to do that. But neither is TRUMP. How many private citizens has he gone after??
I don't think the law applies to the president.

*edit*

Actually, I was wrong about that....
b)In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
(1)a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
(2)an employee of either House of Congress; or
(3)the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States
d'oh.

Reactions: 2 people

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
There really wasn't the need for her to comment on the dying sports network.

And, as you point out...pretty clear, how this is unethical on HER part.

Personally, I feel ESPN is pretty fucking unethical, but, they aren't in the Government.

They ARE, however, woefully inconsistent with their "punishment" for such transgressions, as their treatment of Kurt Schilling was far more severe (IF deserved....)

Sarah should have kept her thoughts on this matter to herself, and just allowed ESPN to kill itself.

I can't tell you how many of my friends who are die-hard sports fans, have completely abandoned ESPN. Only partially for their current devolution into politics.

IF I can drop my ESPN package, but still keep some of the other sports networks, the SEC channel, in particular, I will be dropping them....