Satan is actually a nice guy.

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
Satan Is Good

You know the story: a long time ago, there was a conflict between the Powers That Be. The good guys won, and the bad guys got to suffer (a popular misconception would be to rule) in Hell instead. But it could be you're not getting the whole story. Maybe Old Scratch (or his in-world counterpart, thinly-veiled or not) has been Wrongly Accused. Maybe his loss in the war with God/the gods was the original Downer Ending, and the bastards who did win have been tarring him with the propaganda brush ever since. Wouldn't that be a Mind Screw?

Another variation is that God isn't necessarily evil; he and Satan may just have Creative Differences. Or perhaps Satan is willing to play a Zero-Approval Gambit and be a Dark Shepherd to help keep people in line, the "stick" to God's "carrot". Or maybe God just doesn't care, or, similarly, he vanished from the universe sometime after making it, and the other angels are evil. It's even possible that he and Satan are actually good buddies. In these versions, if the reasons behind it are mentioned at all, Satan's bad reputation may be chalked up to misinterpretation on the part of mankind; particularly if he and God don't really have anything against each other. It could even be that the entire "warring angels" part never really happened. "Demonizing" the, well, demons could be the work of a Corrupt Church.

This was quite common in earlier times, where Satan was seen as a servant of God, who performed an important role in testing peoples' resolve. Satan is derived from the Hebrew "ha-Satan", which quite literally means "the Accuser" — and what he accuses you of is sin.

Satan Is Good - TV Tropes

'Satan Is A Nice Guy; He's Misunderstood': Miley Cyrus

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
This was quite common in earlier times, where Satan was seen as a servant of G-d, who performed an important role in testing peoples' resolve. Satan is derived from the Hebrew "ha-Satan", which quite literally means "the Accuser" — and what he accuses you of is sin.
This is correct.

Oh, and the meme pic has an incorrect statement in it. A woman cannot be forced to marry her rapist, much less not be permitted to divorce him. It is the other way around - he can be forced to marry her and is prevented from divorcing her, assuming she is amenable. That is the only situation (that I am aware of) in which a person is forced to marry against his will, and it does not apply to the woman.

Mar 2015
This is correct.

Oh, and the meme pic has an incorrect statement in it. A woman cannot be forced to marry her rapist, much less not be permitted to divorce him. It is the other way around - he can be forced to marry her and is prevented from divorcing her, assuming she is amenable. That is the only situation (that I am aware of) in which a person is forced to marry against his will, and it does not apply to the woman.
This is an unsettled argument and one that is too painful to delve into.

I'll just post this link:

How could the Bible command a rape victim to marry her rapist? - Christian Research Institute

... and defer to the Satanic Bible which states that you may not make advances on anyone who does not reciprocate them.

Mar 2015
Not according to Judaism, which uses a plain-text reading of our Torah (with further detail in the Talmud).
IAN, you are doing what the "Xians" do: you're being a snob! Don't be a snob. The whole reason I made this thread is because some Christian snob was bulling YOU around. I don't worship Satan, but I cannot stand holier-than-thou nuts telling other people what is acceptable to believe.

Learn a little tolerance!!!

Christianity is not Judaism, just like Judaism is not PAGANISM. Your God RIPPED off the pagan gods. Your RELIGION ripped off MY religion. Time to get over it - you are using the scriptures in order to judge non-believers.

Our sages ask, when are you allowed to judge another person? The answer: Never. The explanation given is as follows:

Who says your blood is redder than his? (Talmud - Sanhedrin 74a)
In other words, we do not know who is more beloved in the eyes of God. We don't know who is really the better person, the homeless person or the cancer scientist. We don't know what challenges God may have given someone growing up. We meet people in the middle of their life stories, in "Chapter 3." We have no idea what went on in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, and we certainly don't know what lies ahead in the other chapters.

That being said, if we cannot judge another person, then we cannot judge their gods.

ABRACADABRA.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
You know things are getting good when Miley Cyrus has a message about Satan.

“I’ve been there, done that. Jesus is ok. He’s boring, you know? He gave Satan a bad rap. Jesus is the goody two shoes with no life. I prayed to Satan last Friday. I was in a foreign city, I barely knew anyone. He spoke to me quietly, prompting me to dress like a boy."
Yeah...