Saturday Surprise

Dec 2006
required field
Aw man, the coolest family of Witnesses just stopped by to invite me to an event next weekend. A (single? idk) mom, her daughter, and son. I told them I was busy (because we are) with friends coming in from Oklahoma that weekend, but they are welcome to drop by anytime, come inside and chat if they like. I know I'm weird, but I just adore an excuse to get to know my neighbors and have a philosophical discussion at the same time. They've got about as much chance of converting me as I have of converting them to Judaism (which is to say zero, because I'm neither qualified nor authorized), and I always let them know that up front.

I actually kind of miss it. In my old neighborhood (when I was still with my late husband), the Mormons and the Witnesses had some sort of arrangement it seemed where they alternated weekends in my neighborhood. I liked the Mormons well enough, but they were so formal and serious (they were also really young). The Witnesses were in the age range between my parents and grandparents, and they were cool AF. We always had great discussions, and I looked forward to their visits. I learned that you can give "just because" gifts any time of the year, and so I would sometimes give them jellies or jams or whatever.

A part of me secretly hoped that one day the Mormons and the Witnesses would get their dates wrong and accidentally show up on my doorstep on the same Saturday. Alas, my hope was ever in vain. I joke around, but I really liked them both. I also really hoped my wish would be fulfilled someday, because I wanted to see how they worked it out, or maybe if we would have a whole group discussion, because that would be epic.

Maybe I'll get luckier in this new neighborhood.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Feb 2015
sadness
just so you know... not all kids on those fishing expectations are the children of who is knocking on your door. The kids are passed around to group after group.

I will go most people are not as likely to cuss them out if there is a child present.

Dec 2006
required field
They were family. Body language. Facial structure. That mom would have dressed me down (deservedly!) if I had been rude to her kid. They were exactly what they appeared to be. Just my neighbors trying to get me to come to their church. Not sinister at all. :)

Reactions: 1 person

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Aw man, the coolest family of Witnesses just stopped by to invite me to an event next weekend. A (single? idk) mom, her daughter, and son. I told them I was busy (because we are) with friends coming in from Oklahoma that weekend, but they are welcome to drop by anytime, come inside and chat if they like. I know I'm weird, but I just adore an excuse to get to know my neighbors and have a philosophical discussion at the same time. They've got about as much chance of converting me as I have of converting them to Judaism (which is to say zero, because I'm neither qualified nor authorized), and I always let them know that up front.

I actually kind of miss it. In my old neighborhood (when I was still with my late husband), the Mormons and the Witnesses had some sort of arrangement it seemed where they alternated weekends in my neighborhood. I liked the Mormons well enough, but they were so formal and serious (they were also really young). The Witnesses were in the age range between my parents and grandparents, and they were cool AF. We always had great discussions, and I looked forward to their visits. I learned that you can give "just because" gifts any time of the year, and so I would sometimes give them jellies or jams or whatever.

A part of me secretly hoped that one day the Mormons and the Witnesses would get their dates wrong and accidentally show up on my doorstep on the same Saturday. Alas, my hope was ever in vain. I joke around, but I really liked them both. I also really hoped my wish would be fulfilled someday, because I wanted to see how they worked it out, or maybe if we would have a whole group discussion, because that would be epic.

Maybe I'll get luckier in this new neighborhood.
The Jehova Witness are an extremely evil cult. It's because of that cult that I was thrown out of my house at 15 years old.
Evil...pure evil.

Dec 2006
required field
Most people on the whole try to do what's right. It's when a bunch of boneheads get together and say, "do what we tell you, because we know what is best" that things start to go sideways.

Dec 2006
required field
The Jehova Witness are an extremely evil cult. It's because of that cult that I was thrown out of my house at 15 years old.
Evil...pure evil.
Well, and that's fine. As a religious group I think they suck ass.

But these were my neighbors. Just people. Maybe not the best people who ever walked the Earth, but I don't really make people fill out an application and check their references before I can be good neighbors with them.

Edit: just read your post more thoroughly. I'm sorry. I would never want to grow up as one.

But hey, why can't I give the kid a good example of someone who is living a happy life and being a good neighbor without needing to be a member of the church? If he's smart, the truth will out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2015
sadness
They were family. Body language. Facial structure. That mom would have laid me out if I had been rude to her kid. They were exactly what they appeared to be. Just my neighbors trying to get me to come to their church. Not sinister at all. :)
the watchtower babes troll our block every few months... some have shown up on holidays knowing we were home. One even came into by basement uninvited (that was fun!) Watch them closley.... they right down in notebooks who answers and who does not....and who they think they have a foot hold with.

On group had this little girl.... so i opened the door knowing full well who they were and told them to write it down, not this door, dont come back. They were insistant and i told them again.... write it down in their book, dont come back.

A few weeks later the same little girl being passed off a daughter came up to the door. I was watching them and the little girl was pulling on her handlers sleeve.... trying to tell them... not this house. They didnt listen to her. I open the door and before they had a chance to say anything i told them they should have listened to "their daughter" and closed the door. I swear i am going to hook up sprinklers on the door step. LOL.

Now the brother brothers are different. If you tell them to get lost they get lost. That being said my guess if i asked them into weed my yard they would be happy to weed my yard.

Feb 2015
sadness
Evil...pure evil.
one of my mothers best friends lost his business, house and money...... the wife decided to give it all to the witnesses in that vain attempt to buy her way to god.

yes the cult is evil.... But very fun to jerk around and mock.

Feb 2015
sadness
Well, and that's fine. As a religious group I think they suck ass.

But these were my neighbors. Just people. Maybe not the best people who ever walked the Earth, but I don't really make people fill out an application and check their references before I can be good neighbors with them.

Edit: just read your post more thoroughly. I'm sorry. I would never want to grow up as one.

But hey, why can't I give the kid a good example of someone who is living a happy life and being a good neighbor without needing to be a member of the church? If he's smart, the truth will out.

as your neighbors i hope they were just trying to be friendly too.

Dec 2006
required field
haha I welcome them to think they have a foothold with me

I'm patient and I enjoy the conversations

Some of them may find it wasn't them who had the foothold after all ^.^