Sccess Stories Under Obamacare

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
One problem with this argument - life expectancy declined after Obamacare passed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-drops-for-first-time-in-decades-report-finds

So Obamacare is still a failure.
A pet peeve of mine is the use of life expectancy statistics as a judgement regarding our healthcare system. There are multiple factors beyond healthcare resources that influence life expectancy. For example, if deaths due to accidents and deaths due to, for a lack of a better term, violence are removed from the determination, American healthcare rises to number 1 in the world. The ACA has no way to control how we drive on our highways, what we eat, violent deaths or generally speaking our lifestyles.

Last edited:

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
A pet peeve of mine is the use of life expectancy statistics as a judgement regarding our healthcare system. There are multiple factors beyond healthcare resources that influence life expectancy. For example, if deaths due to accidents and deaths due to, for a lack of a better term, violence are removed from the determination, American healthcare rises to number 1 in the world. The ACA has no way to control how we drive on our highways, what we eat, violent deaths or generally speaking our lifestyles.
It's true that there are a number of factors that contribute to life expectancy. But it's still used as a standard for measuring the health care system of a nation in general, rightly or wrongly. The post I was responding to claimed that life expectancy went up after Obamacare, when in fact, the opposite happened.

Jul 2014
midwest
It's true that there are a number of factors that contribute to life expectancy. But it's still used as a standard for measuring the health care system of a nation in general, rightly or wrongly. The post I was responding to claimed that life expectancy went up after Obamacare, when in fact, the opposite happened.
Just look at the opioid epidemic that has sprung up in the last few years.

Much worse now than it was when this thread was created...

And LOTS, maybe MOST opioid deaths are by young people.

That would change the life expectancy by itself.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
oregon
Regardless, we're still lathered in a failed healthcare system. Not anything to be a cheerleader of right now.
The healthcare system hasn't failed me or anyone I know. Maybe approaching it with your hand out isn't the best way to access quality care.

May 2007
Houston, Texas
The healthcare system hasn't failed me or anyone I know. Maybe approaching it with your hand out isn't the best way to access quality care.
The issue is poor people who have little money and must have a hand out. That was the premise of ACA. What do you propose in it's place for the poor.