School active shooter drills -- the teachers know it's a drill, the kids don't.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin

Happened to a friend's daughter today at her elementary school.

The principal was going around rattling doors while the children were inside hiding. Many were crying.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
We have active shooter drills all the time...and the students know that it is a drill. This would be terrifying to a child. We will have our next drill Monday...always after a school shooting and this one will be in response to the one in Kentucky this week. Even tho the students know it is a drill...the air hangs heavy until it is over. These school shootings affect students more than one thinks.

Reactions: 2 people

jacobfitcher

Former Staff
Nov 2014
Canada
Why don't they let the kids know? The teachers, I mean, if they already know???
I would image they want the kids to take it seriously. Fecked up, I know. When I was a kid, we had fire drills. We never knew exactly when it was coming, but it would be announced in the morning we would be having one that day.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Turns out the mother received an email message moments before the drill took place.

Not enough time for parents to do anything about it.

(The father was in the dark until the daughter told him about it and then he talked with the mother later.)

There are so many preexisting conditions children could have which would make this kind of thing a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2016
My own world

Happened to a friend's daughter today at her elementary school.

The principal was going around rattling doors while the children were inside hiding. Many were crying.
To me that's criminal. I have been involved in what turned out to be a false alarm only we didn't know it for 2.5 hours later as we were cut off from all communication. Although it wasn't an actual attack people reacted like it was and you saw the hero's (covering the bodies of children so they wouldn't be shot) and the cowards (running to save themselves). To this day I will never forget it.

Mar 2008
The last place I lost my keys.
That has got to be the worst idea I have ever heard. Some of those poor kids will have a hard time getting over it.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2013
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
Hell I don't have any problem with guns. I don't even have any problem with people shooting each other. Shit, shooting people's part of the "American Dream." Parents, teachers, students, fuck 'em. Doesn't bother me. On the other hand, why not let the NRA - those gun nut cocksuckers - go around and run those practice active shooter drills? They're so fuckin' knowledgeable about guns and what's best for America, have those people run 'em! They got all the fuckin' answers!

Jul 2015
Florida
We have active shooter drills all the time...and the students know that it is a drill. This would be terrifying to a child. We will have our next drill Monday...always after a school shooting and this one will be in response to the one in Kentucky this week. Even tho the students know it is a drill...the air hangs heavy until it is over. These school shootings affect students more than one thinks.
TRAUMATIZING!! What the hell school district is this?