Scott defunds red tide oversight, now declares state of emergency

Sep 2012
SoCal
Another GOP swamp creature destroying the environment...

Rick Scott defunded agencies tasked with overseeing red tide. Today he declares State of Emergency
Well, well, well.

This is not going to help Florida Governor Rick Scott in his months-long effort to greenwash his despicable environmental policies. It came out just in time to frustrate his efforts to muddy the waters, so to speak, in his Trump-endorsed battle to unseat Democratic Senator Bill Nelson.

As many of you know, the discharge from Lake Okeechobee (laced with poisoned runoff from the sugar industry) gets released during the rainy season. It happens every year at this time (and even in winter, if it rains too much), and it is horrifying to witness. But this year the discharge is truly devastating both Florida’s Gulf and Atlantic coasts. The rivers that empty the lake, the Caloosahatchee and St. Lucie, are void of life. Any marine species that swims into the discharge dies. The water is green and thick with algae. Many of our waterways and beaches are nothing more than a graveyard with the bodies of fish, bottlenose dolphins, manatees, turtles, and whale sharks littered about. Who wants to go for a swim and see that?

The discharge to the Gulf coast has combined with a red tide, making it a grim reminder of how ecological devastation can impact a community. Property values are plummeting, the tourism industry is hit hard, people are getting sick from just breathing, and we are devastated at what we are witnessing in the ocean.

Rick Scott previously declared a state of emergency for the Lake Okeechobee discharges for affected counties on the Atlantic side, but it’s too little, too late for many Floridians.

...MORE...
2016: Bob Graham calls for Gov. Rick Scott to veto sweeping water reforms

2016: Sugar’s decades-long hold over Everglades came with a price

Toxic red tide is making Floridians sick — and angry

A slimy environmental crisis roils Florida’s tight Senate race

Samples: The greenwashing of Gov. Rick Scott

Gov. Scott declares state of emergency over Lake O draining

G.O.P. Push in States to Deregulate Environment

Reactions: 4 people
Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
Yeah, I live here in the center of it all. My eyes have been red and burning from it and the wife feels it in her throat. It's nasty. It stems from draining Lake Okeechobee in the middle of the state into the Caloosahatchee River which empties into the gulf. We've had dead Manatees, thousands of great gamefish like Tarpon etc. It's a dangerous situation. We've had bouts of it before but this time it's really severe. So, anyone who depends on tourism for a living is hurting financially. My uncle has a Motel on the water and he's usually filled up but he hasn't had a single tenant lately. Scott's a moron just like our President. I hope his days as Gov are numbered as are Trump's.

Reactions: 9 people
Oct 2013
USA
He has the nerve to run a political ad blaming the red tide on, wait for it, wait for it, Bill Nelson. LOL

Reactions: 5 people
Jun 2014
United States
Yeah, I live here in the center of it all. My eyes have been red and burning from it and the wife feels it in her throat. It's nasty. It stems from draining Lake Okeechobee in the middle of the state into the Caloosahatchee River which empties into the gulf. We've had dead Manatees, thousands of great gamefish like Tarpon etc. It's a dangerous situation. We've had bouts of it before but this time it's really severe. So, anyone who depends on tourism for a living is hurting financially. My uncle has a Motel on the water and he's usually filled up but he hasn't had a single tenant lately. Scott's a moron just like our President. I hope his days as Gov are numbered as are Trump's.

He's running for the Senate this time. Be sure to vote against him.

Reactions: 3 people
Oct 2013
USA
He is running against Bill Nelson for Congress so vote, vote, vote. We have got to end his pathetic failure of a career.

Reactions: 3 people
Jul 2018
North Carolina
Correction

No doubt about it. I had a family member go down to Siesta Key FL for a fishing trip a couple of weeks ago. It was so bad he, and his friends had to scrap plans and go elsewhere. It was described as a eerie scene. Besides the many, many dead fish, other creatures like seagulls and sharks have also been severely effected by this.

Given this major effect on tourism (Money), it's definitely gonna be a HOT political item.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
I'm sorry, but Ann Coulter said that God gave us the Earth, and told us to go out and RAPE it. This is what Nature looks like after we've raped it. Who the fuck are you to argue with GOD?!??

Reactions: 9 people
Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
No doubt about it. I had a family member go down to Siesta Key FL for a fishing trip a couple of weeks ago. It was so bad he, and his friends had to scrap plans and go elsewhere. It was described as a eerie scene. Besides the many, many dead fish, other creatures like seagulls and sharks have also been severely effected by this.

Given this major effect on tourism (Money), it's definitely gonna be a HOT political item.
Yeah, it's really bad from Naples to Tampa and beyond. People are next. I'm sure breathing this shit can't be good. But, of course no mention of what could happen beyond irritation etc. I don't buy it. If Seagulls and Marine mammals and other air breathers are dying it's really scary.

Reactions: 4 people