Seattle firm that raised all wages to 70,000 a year minimum, see's double the profits

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Remember when Righties claimed the business would cease to exsist soon.

Pay your employees well and they will work their tails off for you.
This implies paying employees less than "well" buys substandard effort. If this is the case, why the insistence that low paid workers deserve more?

Goldman Sachs pays its starting employees somewhere between $80k and $90k, from what I've read. Large law firms pay starting salaries much higher than that. Why doesn't Gravity simply pay its starting employees what law firms and investment banks do? Does it not care about its workers?

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
This implies paying employees less than "well" buys substandard effort. If this is the case, why the insistence that low paid workers deserve more?
Are you serious? You want to know why you should have to pay someone more than a substandard rate of pay, to get more than a substandard level of work? Isn't this the exact reasoning for paying CEOs millions upon millions of dollars? That it's the only way to attract and maintain "the best of the best" in their profession?

So, how is it that the pay is, in large part, the only thing that can attract keep and motivate the folks on the executive floors? And how is it that low pay, in large part is the only thing that keeps the employee on the ground floor from becoming a lazy parasite, according to many here?

You don't think that the same thing that motivates and keeps a loyal executive would not work to attract and maintain a loyal staff? Why is that?

Neomalthusian said:
Goldman Sachs pays its starting employees somewhere between $80k and $90k, from what I've read. Large law firms pay starting salaries much higher than that. Why doesn't Gravity simply pay its starting employees what law firms and investment banks do? Does it not care about its workers?
Apples and apricots. Gravity is not a large law firm, nor is it an investment banking firm. It's a small credit card processing company. They are not in the middle of Manhattan or Boston, they are in the Pacific Northwest. And he's paying far more than anyone else in his industry is paying.

So, what the fuck is your beef with the guy?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Are you serious? You want to know why you should have to pay someone more than a substandard rate of pay, to get more than a substandard level of work?
I want to know what substandard workers have done to necessarily deserve more according to liberals.

Apples and apricots. Gravity is not a large law firm, nor is it an investment banking firm.
Thank you. You win a prize.

So, what the fuck is your beef with the guy?
No beef. This became a story because liberal media outlets propped this business up as some sort of example of "doing the right thing" or proving something about their minimum wage arguments. My beef is with them. Glad you understand this is apples and apricots.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Remember when Righties claimed the business would cease to exsist soon.

Pay your employees well and they will work their tails off for you.

Seattle Firm’s Profits Double After Raising Minimum Salary To $70,000 |
this company had some luck over the last year. Lets revisit this company a year from now. If we follow your logic then lets raise every persons wages in America like this and see how it turns out. Liberals believe raising wages equals prosperity for business. I dare you to try this method, and its ok to blame Wall Street when you see businesses go up in flames

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
I want to know what substandard workers have done to necessarily deserve more according to liberals.
Substandard workers according to who? You?

By the way, you didn't answer my question. Why is it that pay is what motivates the guy working on the top floor, but not the guy working on the ground floor?

Neomalthusian said:
No beef. This became a story because liberal media outlets propped this business up as some sort of example of "doing the right thing" or proving something about their minimum wage arguments. My beef is with them. Glad you understand this is apples and apricots.
And yet you aimed your snarky bullshit about him not paying Wall Street wages directly at him, and not a media entity.

By the way, there have been plenty of conservative media sites that have propped this guy up as some kind of example of what not to do in business. And if you knew your comparison was pure bullshit, why did you bother to make it?

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Holy crap!! You mean to tell me that a Credit Card Processing Firm doubled their business in a year?

You don't say!

I can easily commend this CEO for taking his employee's livelyhood first and foremost, even cutting his own pay. Good on him for that.
And good on the employees for raising the internal standard on their work ethic.
Sincerely.

However, I assume, like most credit card firms, they could be a no-name-brandless company nobody ever heard of and still double their profits inside a year.
This is credit card processing. It's almost money for nothing since the invention of computers.