Sen Sherrod Brown close to announcement on running for president

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Hitting the talk circuit on tv and the farmers in the midwest this weekend and will make the decision.

The Ohio Democrat and his wife Connie Schultz have not decided whether Brown will run for President yet, but their appearances are aimed at advancing his profile ahead of his visit. He’s heavily emphasizing his focus on what he calls “the dignity of work” – an agenda aimed at focusing on middle-class workers.

“People have the same hopes and dreams,” he said on Maddow’s show. “If you work hard, you should be able to get ahead.”

All Democrats in the progressive wing of the party support universal health care, a $15 minimum wage, child care, and so forth. And of course they support unions. But unions usually just get name checked along with all the other stuff. Brown really believes in unions, and that’s what sets him apart from other progressives. If Sherrod Brown runs on a platform of not just progressive policies, but of support for the kind of labor power that can make possible an era of progressive policies, that would set him apart from the field.

Could President Sherrod Brown revive the labor movement?
Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown doing media blitz as 2020 run talk grows

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Good.

I was listening to Elizabeth Warren's tax plan and I just don't see it.

It seems a complicated plan that would require a lot of auditing and I believe we could get to the same place with more tax brackets and realistic ones at that.

I like her, but I didn't like the plan and I would rather see wages as the primary plank.

Thx :)

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Between Missouri-Kansas
If Sherrod Brown is really serious about running for President, he needs to make him Presidential. First thing, is to cut and trim his hair. He looks unruly and shabby. He is trying to have a Bernie Sanders look.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Good.

I was listening to Elizabeth Warren's tax plan and I just don't see it.

It seems a complicated plan that would require a lot of auditing and I believe we could get to the same place with more tax brackets and realistic ones at that.

I like her, but I would rather see wages as the primary plank.

The interesting thing about Brown is his labor movement beliefs. He really wants the farmers movement. Farmers trended towards republicans because they felt left behind by the cities and the dems desire to broaden the bench. Brown is a big supporter and could catch all those "lost" votes in the middle of the country.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If Sherrod Brown is really serious about running for President, he needs to make him Presidential. First thing, is to cut and trim his hair. He looks unruly and shabby. He is trying to have a Bernie Sanders look.
People like that. He proudly says he wears union made suits not Armani. Supporters really like that.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
The interesting thing about Brown is his labor movement beliefs. He really wants the farmers movement. Farmers trended towards republicans because they felt left behind by the cities and the dems desire to broaden the bench. Brown is a big supporter and could catch all those "lost" votes in the middle of the country.
There certainly are a lot of small family farms in Ohio, the landscape look like a patchwork quilt.

The issues of stagnant wages and unions are long overdue, and as I keep saying, almost every other issue stems off of and is directly impacted by wages.

When the masses have more disposable income business is going to thrive: more money in more hands, not fewer hands that are going to keep it out of circulation.

Businesses actually have to have "customers," they can't make it solely by keeping their labor at poverty wages...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
There certainly are a lot of small family farms in Ohio, the landscape look like a patchwork quilt.

The issues of stagnant wages and unions are long overdue, and as I keep saying, almost every other issue stems off of and is directly impacted by wages.

When the masses have more disposable income business is going to thrive: more money in more hands, not fewer hands that are going to keep it out of circulation.

Businesses actually have to have "customers," they can't make it solely by keeping their labor at poverty wages...

The other thing is Brown can turn Ohio blue. I know it isnt popular but dems rarely focus on the electoral college. We pretty much can say whoever wins the primary will get CA, NY and most of the coasts. But the race is won from the interior. Voters there have to like them and feel good about them. Obama showed us that in 2008.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
The other thing is Brown can turn Ohio blue. I know it isnt popular but dems rarely focus on the electoral college. We pretty much can say whoever wins the primary will get CA, NY and most of the coasts. But the race is won from the interior. Voters there have to like them and feel good about them. Obama showed us that in 2008.
Think of the relief on govt. services when people are paid a more realistic wage, not to mention increased revenues...

I don't believe in doing it in knee-jerk fashion, this should be done gradually with as little upheaval to business as possible.

One thing is clear, we cannot sustain this "CEO-driven" economy much further into the ground!

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Think of the relief on govt. services when people are paid a more realistic wage, not to mention increased revenues...

I don't believe in doing it in knee-jerk fashion, this should be done gradually with as little upheaval to business as possible.

One thing is clear, we cannot sustain this "CEO-driven" economy much further into the ground!

Tagging the minimum wage to the cost of living would be a good way to keep wages from falling behind and wouldn't be too onerous on businesses.

As for Sherrod Brown, I like him. Always have. I just need to hear more from him. Which is true about all of the candidates.