Senate Republicans block bill: NSA will continue monitoring your calls

B04

Aug 2014
gone
WASHINGTON —*The Senate on Tuesday blocked a bill to end bulk collection of Americans' phone records by the*National Security Agency, dealing a blow toPresident Barack Obama's primary proposal to rein in domestic surveillance.

The 58-42 vote was two short of the 60 needed to proceed with debate under Senate procedural rules. Voting was largely along party lines, with most Democrats supporting the bill and most*Republicans*voting against it. The Republican-controlled House had previously passed its own*NSA*bill.

The legislation would have ended the*NSA's*collection of domestic calling records, instead requiring the agency to obtain a court order each time it wanted to analyze the records in terrorism cases, and query records held by the telephone companies. In many cases the companies store the records for 18 months.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/1118/Senate-Republicans-block-bill-NSA-will-continue-monitoring-your-call

So are the Senate Republicans going to tell us that this is the will of the American people that they are representing?
Some Democrats were against it as well, according to your piece. Any 2 of them could have sent it on for debate. I notice you're not whining about them. Hmmmmmmmmm.............

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
And here is another example of why I object to the filibuster.

Jul 2014
midwest
Some Democrats were against it as well, according to your piece. Any 2 of them could have sent it on for debate. I notice you're not whining about them. Hmmmmmmmmm.............
What's THAT?

SELECTIVE whining?

On THIS forum?

Say it ain't so...

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Obama has a pen, a phone, and seems quite eager to rule by fiat.
What does that have to do with the OP?
Are you saying that it's a well known fact that the GOP are incompetent fucks and even you think the President should by-pass them and "rule" by the use of EO? That you acknowledge he really does not have much choice?

Reactions: 2 people
Nov 2010
Ah, this again
Dems are not straight party line hacks like republicans. 14 dems went along on the keystone vote. Do you ever see republicans vote with dems? Others than maybe one or two? No, because they are hacks, and that is the problem.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
OH, so NOW you want to complain about the Democrats because they do not counter the stupidity of the Republicans quickly enough to suit you and THAT is a good reason to support the Republicans.