Senator Kent Conrad Mulls Vehicle Miles Traveled Tax

Sep 2007
the state of confusion
One hardly knows where to begin. First, as Senator Kent Conrad admits, the VMT tax is going to be assessed on top of the gasoline tax. Part of the real reason the VMT tax is being considered is that as the price of gasoline rises, people are doing what the government says they should do and are buying and using more fuel efficient cars, thus lowering the revenue from the gas tax.

just when you thought it couldn't get worse .. $4.00 a gal gas and now this hairbrained idea.

Senator Kent Conrad Mulls Vehicle Miles Traveled Tax - Yahoo! News

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
One hardly knows where to begin. First, as Senator Kent Conrad admits, the VMT tax is going to be assessed on top of the gasoline tax. Part of the real reason the VMT tax is being considered is that as the price of gasoline rises, people are doing what the government says they should do and are buying and using more fuel efficient cars, thus lowering the revenue from the gas tax.

just when you thought it couldn't get worse .. $4.00 a gal gas and now this hairbrained idea.

Senator Kent Conrad Mulls Vehicle Miles Traveled Tax - Yahoo! News
After reading this OP ,the movie Popeye with Robin Williams came to mind.

The Taxman: You just docked.
Popeye: I has.
The Taxman: Ah ha, let's see here, that'll be 25 cents docking tax.
Popeye: What for?
The Taxman: Where's your sea craft?
Popeye: It ain't no sea craft, it's me dinghy and it's under the wharf.
The Taxman: Ah ha. aah-ha. This your goods?
Popeye: They is.
The Taxman: Yeah. You're new in town right?
Popeye: If you call this a town, yes.
The Taxman: Well, first of all, there's 17 cents new in town tax, and there's 45 cents rowboat-under-the-wharf tax, and one dollar leaving-your-junk-lying-around-the-wharf tax, so all together, you owe the Commodore $1.87.
Popeye: Uh, who's this Commodore?
The Taxman: Is the nature of question? There's a nickel question tax.

"Thats all I can stands I can't stands no more"

Jul 2007
After reading this OP ,the movie Popeye with Robin Williams came to mind.

The Taxman: You just docked.
Popeye: I has.
The Taxman: Ah ha, let's see here, that'll be 25 cents docking tax.
Popeye: What for?
The Taxman: Where's your sea craft?
Popeye: It ain't no sea craft, it's me dinghy and it's under the wharf.
The Taxman: Ah ha. aah-ha. This your goods?
Popeye: They is.
The Taxman: Yeah. You're new in town right?
Popeye: If you call this a town, yes.
The Taxman: Well, first of all, there's 17 cents new in town tax, and there's 45 cents rowboat-under-the-wharf tax, and one dollar leaving-your-junk-lying-around-the-wharf tax, so all together, you owe the Commodore $1.87.
Popeye: Uh, who's this Commodore?
The Taxman: Is the nature of question? There's a nickel question tax.

"Thats all I can stands I can't stands no more"
It is definely time to take the right to arbitarily tax away from these jackels. I'm betting that if you melt down the lot of them you won't find a lick of common sense.

Dec 2007
this will never pass. high gas prices = less driving, so this wouldn't help that situation anyway.

Sep 2007
the state of confusion
this will never pass. high gas prices = less driving, so this wouldn't help that situation anyway.
that is the exact reason why they want a milage tax.. people are driving less and buying less gas so they aren't collecting as much on the gasoline tax.

did you read the OP..??