Send your kids to school

RNG

Former Staff
Jan 2015
Left coast
Add charging electromagnetic electrodes to all major roadways and provide metered charging to any vehicle on the road. Charge while you drive. We're likely to see things that we wouldn't even think about now. Gasoline stations probably seemed like a far-fetched idea to horseback riders back in the day.
That may work in high density areas, but currently in much of the west in particular, that won't be an economic option, or at least not for a much longer time.

Reactions: bajisima
Jun 2014
United States
That may work in high density areas, but currently in much of the west in particular, that won't be an economic option, or at least not for a much longer time.

It's not as if we'll suddenly have all EVs and no internal combustion engines. There will obviously be a transitional period. Some folks still ride horseback today -- especially out west.

i suspect that we'll eventually see fuel cell powered EVs running on Hydrogen.

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I would love to see apprentices again. Its pretty rare anymore. Even jobs at GE, IBM etc used to take on young high school grads and teach them certain skills. They took aptitude tests and it let the companies see who best to choose. Problem now is companys want fancy degrees. We have a job currently that a HS grad could learn with about a month of training. Doesnt even pay that well. But no, company says must have a Bachelors degree. Sad thing is when we hit a recession these types of jobs will get taken due to desperation. Its nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigLeRoy
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Add charging electromagnetic electrodes to all major roadways and provide metered charging to any vehicle on the road. Charge while you drive. We're likely to see things that we wouldn't even think about now. Gasoline stations probably seemed like a far-fetched idea to horseback riders back in the day.
We cant even get money for potholes. I think thats not going to happen for decades. Once we hit another recession, municipalities and states will be desperate for funding. Its unlikely they will be able to pay for that.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I suspect society will be forced to change it's view of personal transportation. Living in western Canada, that is an issue for sure. But that might just be an adjustment we will have to make.
Whats really needed is to go back to more of what we had in the 1950s and before where people lived fairly close to work and didnt have a commute. Today commutes are increasing dramatically as urban areas have huge sprawl. It also would help climate change as people wouldnt need to drive or travel far to get to work. Things like public transportation would be more easily accessible. As it stands now in many urban areas, NYC, Boston, Silicon Valley etc people can commute two hours one way. That makes it especially challenging.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Labor unions were politically relevant back in the 1960s. These days, very few Americans have union jobs if they aren't professional athletes.
Well, there are still a lot of public sector employees who belong to unions. A LOT of teacher strikes across the country this year, you know......Real teacher salaries have fallen quite substantially since 2000, according to a recent news report, which I could dig up if anyone disputes it.....

Reactions: bajisima
Jan 2016
Colorado
Theoretically thats true but when you have Waymo and Uber fighting to create autonomous vehicles and Elizabeth Warren is out there rallying against them it makes it difficult to get that R and D done. As I said, its not all but some politicians are using the autonomous vehicle or artificial intelligence debate as a tool of income inequality and taking away jobs. Some have proposed universal basic incomes but that hasnt caught on overall.
If Elizabeth Warren is really out there fighting against autonomous vehicles------and I guess she is-------then I regard her as a FOOL. And she is no better than Donald Trump and his foolish efforts to try to 'save' the coal industry, which is dying a natural death from market forces.

Seriously? Are we going to have political candidates who vow to bring back the typewriter industry?