Serbia President Frustrated By WWI Remembrance Treatment

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Kosovar President Hashim Thaci (left) sat alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic was displeased by the way he was treated during World War I centenary commemorations in France, Serbian media reported on November 12.

At the November 11 Armistice ceremony in Paris, which brought together leaders from numerous countries, Kosovar President Hashim Thaci was behind the leaders of France, Germany, Russia, and the United States, while Vucic was placed in a separate stand on the opposite side.

Serbian media quoted Vucic as saying , "You can imagine how I felt," and adding that he had "a lump in the throat."

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing before me, knowing the sacrifice that the Serbian people made in World War I," he said.

Historians say that Serbia suffered more losses as a proportion of its population in World War I than any other country embroiled in the conflict.

French President Emmanuel Macron hosted his U.S. and Russian counterparts, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, among other leaders, at the ceremony marking 100 years since the end of the war.

Tensions remain high between Serbia and Kosovo, two decades after a war between Serbian forces and ethnic Albanian fighters.

Kosovo's independence from Belgrade, unilaterally declared in 2008, is recognized by leading Western powers but not by Serbia.

Macron visits Serbia next month, and Vucic promised a "grand" welcome for the French leader.
Reports: Serbia President Frustrated By WWI Remembrance Treatment

It is interesting, Putin sitting with the Albanian, Thaci, given which side Russia is supposed to be on, in this conflict... lol

Apparently, they spoke to, before, and Putin voiced support for a potential peace deal between Kosovo and Serbia: Thaci: I spoke with Putin, he was clear/PHOTOS - English - on B92.net

Hard to believe... WTH is going on over there...

Dec 2014
Opal mining
Let's not forget that a Serbian triggered the entire conflict (Gavril Princep of the Serbian separatist group, 'The Black Hand' fired the first shot, killing the Archduke Ferdinand), however, that is irrelevant to this situation. I just found it ironic when he was going on about losses per capita, which is wrong, as the correct answer is Australia (colonial cannon fodder), but ours are always listed under 'British Empire'. Whole towns lost their male population.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Let's not forget that a Serbian triggered the entire conflict (Gavril Princep of the Serbian separatist group, 'The Black Hand' fired the first shot, killing the Archduke Ferdinand), however, that is irrelevant to this situation. I just found it ironic when he was going on about losses per capita, which is wrong, as the correct answer is Australia (colonial cannon fodder), but ours are always listed under 'British Empire'. Whole towns lost their male population.
Canada lost plenty of lives too, at Vimy Ridge alone...

So, he's mad because he didn't get seated next to Putin?
I'm sure that's a big part of it, yes lol

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Indeed they did, and I bet those figures are included in the figures for the 'British Empire'.
I don’t mind that so much as I do the institutions built after the fighting ended. Both the League of Nations AND the United Nations took the same position: Giving Aus/NZ, India and Canada the senior council seats they have obviously earned would give 3 votes to the UK and a powerful vote to brown people. So .... fuck em. Britain can speak for them.