Serious Discussian On War

Dec 2018
Florida
As I said, this issue is almost certainly moot, because in a warming world, it is extremely unlikely that Russia will find itself unable to ship or receive goods out of its Black Sea ports.

Ideally, one supposes that Russia would LOVE to control the Bosporus and the Dardanelles. To do so, I guess they would have to CONQUER Turkey. The world would have to change quite radically for that to happen.....
You can only ship so much out of a single port. Russia only has 3 ports. And they are barely warm water. Even last year the Black Sea ports faced issues due to winter storms. And that really hurts their economy. More ports means reliability of a single port is not as destructive.

The problem with trying to factor in global warming is that it is hardly a “guarantee” that their ports are open. And climate change isn’t weather. The area will still be subject to severe weather. Especially cold weather.

As for Turkey? The Russians don’t have to take it (though they would love to)...they just have to maintain relations. It is why the United States and Russia had issues there during the Cold War.

And bringing it back to war...our military should only be involved in so far as we can maintain stability. Primarily for trade. That will benefit the common man the most .

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
As I said, this issue is almost certainly moot, because in a warming world, it is extremely unlikely that Russia will find itself unable to ship or receive goods out of its Black Sea ports.

Ideally, one supposes that Russia would LOVE to control the Bosporus and the Dardanelles. To do so, I guess they would have to CONQUER Turkey. The world would have to change quite radically for that to happen.....
No need to conquer the bastards. Just decimate em, and divide up most of their lands between the peoples who deserve them more: South to the Kurds; West back to the Greeks, with Constantinople; and East - to my Armenian brothers :D

I will be very happy if I see this happen in my lifetime... :)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Huh? Syria HAS warm water ports! You yourself said, that's what Russia wants. From Syria, Russia can now project naval power throughout the Mediterranean and beyond. Relations between Russia and Syria are not going to "go south". Russia now OWNS Syria, for ALL intents and purposes.

This issue is almost moot, anyhow. In a warming world, Russia's Black Sea ports ARE warm water ports. They aren't likely to be icing over in winters much anymore. Maybe on rare occasions.
On a serious note re: Russia & Turkey; one of the reasons for them recapturing Crimea in 2014, was that they needed that area to continue to match Turkey's power in the Black Sea. At least, I heard so-called military "experts", retired Naval admirals and such, argue this, on Russian television...

Jul 2014
midwest
You are delusional if you think I'll ever stop laughing at you, Miller47. You don't even realize I was making a 'funny'.
As long as you are happy, that's the important thing.

I'm on here largely for entertainment, and I admit as much.

Some people try to be all serious all the time.

Sux to be them...

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Not sure this is in the right place but I would really like to have a rational discussion on this Country, War and protection we give.

More and more I am hearing younger people angry about this 17 year war.

They agree with Trump on getting out,insisting others pay their share of protection. They blame both parties for getting us in, not getting us out.

We have been in Germany and Japan since 1945, rebuilt them with the Marshall plan.

Meanwhile they have built the latest Trains, Infrastructure.

Most of you were not here in 1945. Do you understand why the middle class is agreeing with Trump? Our Countries infrastucture is falling apart while Congress feeds more into the war machine.

Any of you ever think about Dwight D Eisenhower and his,”Beware Of The Military Complex?”

And do not turn this into a Political thing. Can we think about this sensibly?
Sorry, I have not been alive a full year that the US has not gone to war / bombed / used military against a country...

Have you noticed:
- Bush started that insane war on terrorism (think binge drink against alcoholism) and was protested by the left heavily (and correctly)
- Obama expanded on those wars and bombed several nations, giving him a peace prize and silence from the antiwar protestors.
- trump is vilified for ending the wars and bringing troops home.

???