She was falsely accused of being racist in a video that went viral. Then some on the internet came to her rescue

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
It started about 10 minutes before closing time on a Thursday night. A group of about a half-dozen young black men walked in, chatting loudly among themselves while aiming smartphone cameras at Chipotle employees.

"They're back," one of Moran's colleagues told her as the men streamed into the food line.
Moran recognized two of them. Only two days before, she said, their credit cards had been declined when they lined up to pay. She had also been warned about them not paying before, and seen video footage of them "dining and dashing." They had ordered their food in the takeout line, given the cashier a credit card, then dashed with their food after the card was declined.

"You gotta' pay 'cause you never have money when you come in," Moran told them.
The men erupted in indignation. At least one started recording.

"She's making crazy accusations."
"Y'all racist!"
"We got no money."

She was falsely accused of being racist in a video that went viral. Then some on the internet came to her rescue - CNN

just posting this story because it's so heartbreaking. That's all. They were declined service because of their previous behavior. It had nothing to do with being black. These things do happen. Where people take advantage of legitimate claims of racism in order to excuse their own behavior. We need to acknowledge that. There's nothing wrong with admitting that sometimes it does happen. It doesn't mean that we need to automatically assume that any and all accusations of racism are suspect. Just that we need to reserve judgement until we have all the facts in each individual case. Or, at the very least, be willing to change our positions accordingly when new facts are revealed.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I remember when this happened last year. This is why people shouldn't rush to judgment when they see some internet outrage. There is always more to the story. Plus, that these guys had their phones out and ready to film should have been a clue. I hope she sues the guy who started it.

Reactions: The Man

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I remember when this happened last year. This is why people shouldn't rush to judgment when they see some internet outrage. There is always more to the story. Plus, that these guys had their phones out and ready to film should have been a clue. I hope she sues the guy who started it.
If they have video, why not call the cops and have them arrested for theft?

Reactions: Friday13
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
She was falsely accused of being racist in a video that went viral. Then some on the internet came to her rescue - CNN

just posting this story because it's so heartbreaking. That's all. They were declined service because of their previous behavior. It had nothing to do with being black. These things do happen. Where people take advantage of legitimate claims of racism in order to excuse their own behavior. We need to acknowledge that. There's nothing wrong with admitting that sometimes it does happen. It doesn't mean that we need to automatically assume that any and all accusations of racism are suspect. Just that we need to reserve judgement until we have all the facts in each individual case. Or, at the very least, be willing to change our positions accordingly when new facts are revealed.
I did a thread on this story back in November of last year.

I think Chipotle should be held responsible for their actions.

More Than Just Another Debunked Race Hoax

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Mr. Rasselas,

Actually, it does. It is more often than not that these claims are false.
You have no evidence of this. If you do, please cite it. Even your language is equivocating: "more often than not". One incident isn't proof of anything.