Sherrod Brown Ad

Jan 2016
Colorado
I do know that.

Those were unfortunate circumstances for his family.

His time should have been 2016.

Not his fault, but he's too old to run next time.
LOL, your poor old head would EXPLODE if Al Gore were to announce he was getting into the race.

Al Gore is only 70, quite a bit YOUNGER than Donald Trump and Joe Biden......

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Already listed three of Bidens main problems.
Let me ask you this. After observing Trump for 2 years you would choose him over Biden? A dedicated Congress person since the age of 29, lost his wife and child, but carried on with a lot of help from friends.

A man who later married a brilliant woman, remains married to her. Lost another Son-to cancer, was a great Senator, liked on both sides, went on to be a successful VP for 8 years.

You would vote for a man who made fun of a disabled man? One who hates everyone, turns on anyone who disagrees with him? Knows nothing about Government? A narcisstic, ignorant, lying bully?

Jun 2014
United States
OK, I am willing to upset my Democratic friends again to point out why so many workers voted for Donald Trump.

The guy that pretended to be a populist,fed them lies over and over.

So then, the Democrats should use that same tactic, since it was so successful in 2016? I doubt that empty promises of bringing back high paying factory jobs alone will motivate the Trump voters. Not unless it includes the racism, misogyny, xenophobia and general bigotry that Trump added to the mix.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
OK, I am willing to upset my Democratic friends again to point out why so many workers voted for Donald Trump.

The guy that pretended to be a populist,fed them lies over and over. This guy is going for those disenchanted Democrats.

If he starts getting support from disenchanted Trump supporters, that could be a problem. I certainly hope we haven't reached the point where people reject a candidate based on something like that, but it's quite possible.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Brown just came out against Medicare for all. That scratches him off any progressive's list.

84% of Democrats think a plan like Medicare for All is a priority. If Brown doesn't think we should have it he doesn't really give a damn about working folks.
Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) took a shot at some of his fellow Democrats on Friday, saying that "Medicare for all" is not a practical idea.

“I know most of the Democratic primary candidates are all talking about Medicare for all. I think instead we should do Medicare at 55,” Brown said.

Brown, who may run for president himself, spoke during a roundtable discussion with the Clear Lake Chamber Of Commerce in Iowa.

“If someone has lost her job at [age] 58 or his plant closes at 62, he should be able to buy into Medicare early. It will cost a little bit more, but to me that’s about helping people now … it’s something we might be able to get through Congress,” Brown said.

Medicare for all has been gaining traction among many progressive Democratic candidates like Sen. Kamala Harris (Calif.), Cory Booker (N.J.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), and some on the left view support for such legislation as a litmus test.

Brown is not historically opposed to Medicare for all as an aspiration, but he said he would rather focus on what’s practical.

“I’m not going to come and make a lot of promises like President Trumpdid ... I’m going to talk about what’s practical and what we can make happen. And if that makes me different from the other candidates so be it,” he said.

Brown is one of the primary sponsors of “Medicare at 55” legislation in the Senate, a moderate alternative to Medicare for all that was pushed by Hillary Clinton when she ran for president in 2016.

Former President Bill Clinton also proposed expanding Medicare in 1998 by allowing certain workers between the ages of 55 and 65 to buy Medicare.

Brown also helped write the “public option” into ObamaCare, but the provision was removed before the law was passed.
Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'

I'd like to see Medicare for All myself (it should really be Medicaid for all as it would cover 100% instead of 80%) but what's the likelihood of actually getting something like that through the Senate? Brown has a point, although voters are already demanding the candidates SAY what they want to hear and they don't seem particularly concerned with it actually getting done.

That said, Brown might be wise to embrace the idea as a possibility and something he'd be willing to try for with the caveat of lowering the buy in age of Medicare to 55 & a public option as what he'll settle for.

On the topic of voters wanting candidates being fickle:

This tweet is followed by several "there's no way I'm voting for him if he won't call Trump a racist" comments.

Heaven help us if posturing becomes more important to the electorate than actually doing something. :(

Jul 2014
midwest
LOL, your poor old head would EXPLODE if Al Gore were to announce he was getting into the race.

Al Gore is only 70, quite a bit YOUNGER than Donald Trump and Joe Biden......
The entertainment factor would be priceless.

Get the "Crazed Sex Poodle" on the phone and talk him into it.

He'd have one thing in common with Hillary: he'd be a two time loser.

And, another thing in common: his time has passed, too.

But, just for the fun times...bring him on!

Jul 2014
midwest
Let me ask you this. After observing Trump for 2 years you would choose him over Biden? A dedicated Congress person since the age of 29, lost his wife and child, but carried on with a lot of help from friends.

A man who later married a brilliant woman, remains married to her. Lost another Son-to cancer, was a great Senator, liked on both sides, went on to be a successful VP for 8 years.

You would vote for a man who made fun of a disabled man? One who hates everyone, turns on anyone who disagrees with him? Knows nothing about Government? A narcisstic, ignorant, lying bully?
I'd vote for whoever I thought would make the best president.

Or maybe not support EITHER of the two main party nominees, as was the case last time.

I'd have to evaluate them right before the election, not 20 months out.

We don't know what will happen in those next 20 months, so I couldn't say.

I can say right now that I do LIKE Biden better as a person, but that's not the only criteria.

Apr 2012
Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'

I'd like to see Medicare for All myself (it should really be Medicaid for all as it would cover 100% instead of 80%) but what's the likelihood of actually getting something like that through the Senate? Brown has a point, although voters are already demanding the candidates SAY what they want to hear and they don't seem particularly concerned with it actually getting done.

That said, Brown might be wise to embrace the idea as a possibility and something he'd be willing to try for with the caveat of lowering the buy in age of Medicare to 55 & a public option as what he'll settle for.

On the topic of voters wanting candidates being fickle:

This tweet is followed by several "there's no way I'm voting for him if he won't call Trump a racist" comments.

Heaven help us if posturing becomes more important to the electorate than actually doing something. :(
There is a problem of voter "maturity". But I think the media should get a lot of blame for that. Most folks just don't have access to facts. Since the death of news papers most people get all their information from TV. So they only hear about the most controversial news.

Then there are those who get their info on the internet. But too many only read sites that reinforce their preconceptions.

Why don't more people ask, "if the rest of the industrial world can afford to provide all their people with government paid health care why can't we?"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Brown just came out against Medicare for all. That scratches him off any progressive's list.

84% of Democrats think a plan like Medicare for All is a priority. If Brown doesn't think we should have it he doesn't really give a damn about working folks.
Yea I have to say I think that may just have hurt Sherrod Brown. He is getting some blowback. The litmus test for 2020 will be on medicare for all, if the candidate isnt all in for it, I dont think they will get support from the progressive wing and that could hurt them in the primaries. General could be another question though.