Sherrod Brown: Dems will lose if they have to choose between progressives and the workers

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
He is beginning his "Dignity of work" tour signaling he might be running for president.

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown (D) is urging the Democratic Party's eventual 2020 presidential nominee to reach out to all Americans and build a broad coalition instead of choosing to either speak to workers or progressives.

In an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Brown warned that such a choice between working-class voters and progressive activists was a trap that spelled defeat for the party.

"I've seen so many national Democrats look at this as you either speak to the progressive base, or you speak to workers, working-class voters of all races. And if we have to choose between the two, we lose," he added to MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski. "To win Ohio, to win the industrial Midwest, the heartland, and the Electoral College you've got to speak to the progressive base, to be sure, as I have my whole career, but you've got to talk to workers and live where they live."

Brown said that he and his wife "have been overwhelmed by the number of people that have come forward and said, ‘You’ve got to run. You have the right message. You come from the right state.’ ”

Sherrod Brown: Dems will lose if 'we have to choose' between speaking to progressive base and workers

Nov 2014
North Carolina
He is beginning his "Dignity of work" tour signaling he might be running for president.

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown (D) is urging the Democratic Party's eventual 2020 presidential nominee to reach out to all Americans and build a broad coalition instead of choosing to either speak to workers or progressives.

In an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Brown warned that such a choice between working-class voters and progressive activists was a trap that spelled defeat for the party.

"I've seen so many national Democrats look at this as you either speak to the progressive base, or you speak to workers, working-class voters of all races. And if we have to choose between the two, we lose," he added to MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski. "To win Ohio, to win the industrial Midwest, the heartland, and the Electoral College you've got to speak to the progressive base, to be sure, as I have my whole career, but you've got to talk to workers and live where they live."

Brown said that he and his wife "have been overwhelmed by the number of people that have come forward and said, ‘You’ve got to run. You have the right message. You come from the right state.’ ”

Sherrod Brown: Dems will lose if 'we have to choose' between speaking to progressive base and workers
Brown's living in the past. He still believes the old democratic party exist. It doesn't. The "progressives" as he refers to them is the party now. Democrats like him would be better off to sign on to the populist movement that elected Trump. Otherwise he's going to be a powerless "moderate" Pelosi and her allies are going to treat like useful idiots.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Brown's living in the past. He still believes the old democratic party exist. It doesn't. The "progressives" as he refers to them is the party now. Democrats like him would be better off to sign on to the populist movement that elected Trump. Otherwise he's going to be a powerless "moderate" Pelosi and her allies are going to treat like useful idiots.
I have heard quite a few progressives actually say something like that. The old days of the dem party where union workers were the base is long gone. I heard one pundit even say "the party doesnt need people with dirt under their finger nails anymore since they have college graduates." I was flabbergasted. No wonder they are losing Ohio. Sherrod is an old fashioned democrat for sure. He would do well in the middle of the country but not on the coasts.