SHIELDS DOWN, heads up! Please read...

Jul 2015
Florida
I started this yesterday when the NADLER thread went up and I got sidelined. DeBlasio poured his own bottle of water down Nadler, someone handed him an 'orange' (might have been juice) and he was making jokes and giving ER staff his med history cogently upon arrival at the hosp.

I myself am advancing in age. Young enough to be in denial, old enough to know the # is on the driver's license and the 'long term birth certificate' don't lie. UNTIL 2 weeks ago I did NOT know that as we age, we desire/lose internal cues/don't crave--WATER. I suffered 2 syncopal episodes this past year. Never could figured it out. Even forget to tell the doctor because I it was so far prior to my yearly check up. I thought both times it was from low blood sugar (could be a combo) and both times I downed some PROTEIN and washed it down with 'fluid'. I thought it was the protein that immediately fixed it, it may have been the water.

I'm sharing this for anyone who might not know!

Older adults. As you age, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. These problems are compounded by chronic illnesses such as diabetes and dementia, and by the use of certain medications .Feb 15, 2018

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Florida
In the short-term, dehydration can cause the physical symptoms listed above. Especially in older adults, weakness and dizziness can provoke falls. ... Dehydration also often causes the kidneys to work less well, and in severe cases may even cause acute kidney failure.

Mar 2019
TN
I'll be 59 end of the month. I find myself having MAKE myself drink enough fluids. I just don't feel thirsty. I'll find myself feeling tired and unable to do certain things and will realize I haven't consumed the amount of liquids I know I NEED to function.

Jul 2015
Florida
I'll be 59 end of the month. I find myself having MAKE myself drink enough fluids. I just don't feel thirsty. I'll find myself feeling tired and unable to do certain things and will realize I haven't consumed the amount of liquids I know I NEED to function.
Me as well. I happened to casually mention it to my Doc's PA a couple of weeks ago, she's the one that told me this. Then of course I googled it.

PS DO YOUR TEETH OR GUMS EVER FEEL 'ITCHY' FOR NO APPARENT REASON? Same reason, lack of hydration. Drink water, it goes away, almost immediately. Figured that out just LAST week and googled it to see if it might be related. Sure nuff.