Shots Fired — Police Shoot Man, Kill Dog, And Shoot Own In Botched 911 Call.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
ATLANTA (AP) — Police officers who arrived at the wrong Atlanta home after a report of suspicious activity shot the man who lives there, killed his dog and "likely" shot a fellow officer, leaving him seriously wounded, authorities said Tuesday.

Tama Colson, who lives two doors down from the home where the shooting erupted, said she was using a shirt to staunch the bleeding from her neighbor's bullet wound as he asked aloud: "Why did they come in my house? Why did they shoot me? Why did they shoot my dog?"
Investigators: Georgia officer likely shot by other officers

Police work is dangerous for everyone and thing.

Reactions: 3 people

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Here's what'll put a quick stop to no-knock warrants served on the wrong damn house:

If there should be any question as to who is invading your home without cause, you can defend yourself the same as against any intruder.

That means that the raid
must be videotaped in its entirety and for charges to be pressed against someone who resists, clear and unquestionable evidence of identification a certain time before entry must be proven.

This has got to stop, and police also have to stop killing dogs on sight. Every video I've seen, it happens again and again. Animal abuse charges should be pressed for any case where a chained or otherwise clearly not dangerous dog is killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Nothing pisses me off more than people getting hurt by the police in cases of completely mistaken identity. Law enforcement have the resources and should have the training to avoid that.

If the warrant lists an address and the officers responsible simply go to the wrong building, they should be individually held accountable when it happens.

Reactions: 4 people
Jun 2014
United States
Nothing pisses me off more than people getting hurt by the police in cases of completely mistaken identity. Law enforcement have the resources and should have the training to avoid that.

If the warrant lists an address and the officers responsible simply go to the wrong building, they should be individually held accountable when it happens.

There is no indication that they had a warrant in this case.

Reactions: 1 person

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
There is no indication that they had a warrant in this case.
I can't believe that a major, professional police force like Atlanta's would really swat a residence with no warrant at all. That's just stunning.

But... the situation is so utterly fucked that I guess if it's being reported it's probably accurate.

Update: I see now that the robbery was reported without an address and "many buildings looked similar," but still...

Reactions: 2 people

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
And we have this one as well..

The video, taken by a bystander and obtained by KSAT-TV, appears to show Flores standing still with his arms raised just before two shots are heard. Flores drops to the ground. The video doesn't include audio of deputies' commands or Flores' response, and the scene is partially obscured by police vehicles and passing cars.

Moments later, deputies drag and flip Flores onto his stomach. About a minute and a half later, an ambulance arrives.

The deputies, who had both been with the sheriff's office for more than 10 years, have been placed on standard paid administrative leave. The sheriff's department is investigating and has said the officers were not wearing body cameras.

Bexar County, Texas Police Officers Appear to Fatally Shoot Man With Hands Up - US News