Should N. Pelosi allow Trump to give SOTU speech now that government is open?

Should N. Pelosi allow Trump to give SOTU speech now that government is open?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Pelosi said he could give it when the government was open. Changing that after he gave would send the wrong signal, probably help him more than help her, etc...
Maybe. The government is "open" for no more than three weeks, and absent a wall - or Trump's capitulation - we will be right back where we were, which is what I suspect will happen.

In the meantime, he will use it as an opportunity bolster and secure his negotiating position, possibly insulting Congress (or, at least, the Democrats) in the process, in the hope that the tide will turn in these three weeks. At that point, if the Democrats do start getting more of the blame, then he will feel in a position to "end" the shutdown by claiming a national emergency and illegally appropriating the money from somewhere else in order to build the wall anyway.

In other words, until a long-term solution is reached - if ever - this does not turn out well for anyone except Trump.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Maybe. The government is "open" for no more than three weeks, and absent a wall - or Trump's capitulation - we will be right back where we were, which is what I suspect will happen.

In the meantime, he will use it as an opportunity bolster and secure his negotiating position, possibly insulting Congress (or, at least, the Democrats) in the process, in the hope that the tide will turn in these three weeks. At that point, if the Democrats do start getting more of the blame, then he will feel in a position to "end" the shutdown by claiming a national emergency and illegally appropriating the money from somewhere else in order to build the wall anyway.

In other words, until a long-term solution is reached - if ever - this does not turn out well for anyone except Trump.
You have me going back and forth here but I think Trump is trying to destroy our country and deserves no quarter.
His entire life has been of no value to anyone.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
... I think Trump is trying to destroy our country ...
As do I. This is either the beginning, or more likely a trial balloon to see how things happen before getting the next stage ready.
... and deserves no quarter.
It has nothing to do with what he deserves, but with what we deserve. Thus, what actions are appropriate should not be determined or driven by him.

Reactions: labrea

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.

Strongly disagree. The American public is known for its notoriously short memory, but it's not that short.

Nothing about this works to his advantage, and more people are finally seeing that the emperor is naked and stark raving mad. That genie will not go back in the bottle. He can stamp his feet all he wants. shriek about his "powerful" choice (to declare a national emergency to build the wall), hold his breath. None of it will work. Let him declare his emergency. It will be stalled and dragged into court before any ground is broken.

He's lost. And this is the beginning of his undoing.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
As do I. This is either the beginning, or more likely a trial balloon to see how things happen before getting the next stage ready.

It has nothing to do with what he deserves, but with what we deserve. Thus, what actions are appropriate should not be determined or driven by him.
Trump has been wounded and a wounded predator can be even more dangerous than before.
The Dems must keep pummeling this creature until he represents no more of a threat.

He's down but not out.
Keep the blows coming!

1. Start impeachment hearings immdietly.
2. NY AG must speed up criminal case against the Trump foundation......and nail the Trump criminal offspring.
3.Bring state charges to nullify any pardon hopes.
4. Bring Trump to international court in re kidnapping infants on the border.

Destroy the disease that is Trumpism!!

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Let him declare his emergency. It will be stalled and dragged into court before any ground is broken.
Unless, of course, he forges ahead while the issues are litigated - and then ignores the judicial branch anyway if he does not like the decision.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Unless, of course, he forges ahead while the issues are litigated - and then ignores the judicial branch anyway if he does not like the decision.
We have to think these through because they very well may come true as long as the GOP covers for Trump.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
And how far do you think he'd get with that?

Unless he's ready to pick a up shovel himself and start digging, I believe any workers would be defying a stop-work injunction, wouldn't they? (Wonder if Congress might even be able to issue one.)

Anyway, doesn't sound like a winning strategy, IMO.