Should social media be required to report threats to police?

Should social media be required to report threats to police?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Hard one. I would say yes except that so many on social media say all sorts of things. Some could be fooling around or others could just be frustrated. It could keep law enforcement terribly busy. Cant tell you how many people always say stuff like "I want to kill somebody.." It also could lead to policing of thoughts. That gets dangerous.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
GAB.com

Gab dot com is like a beer joint that gets too many 9-11 calls. Too many and the city closes the place down.

Remember Youtube and FB had been kicking people off for content violations. That is going to have all these smaller sites opening up.

It's like whack a mole....the mole just keeps moving

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
GAB.com

Gab dot com is like a beer joint that gets too many 9-11 calls. Too many and the city closes the place down.

Remember Youtube and FB had been kicking people off for content violations. That is going to have all these smaller sites opening up.

It's like whack a mole....the mole just keeps moving
Then add in the dark web where the real crazies are and it gets hard to find them all. We would need to add thousands of people just to sit and monitor all these accounts.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Hard one. I would say yes except that so many on social media say all sorts of things. Some could be fooling around or others could just be frustrated. It could keep law enforcement terribly busy. Cant tell you how many people always say stuff like "I want to kill somebody.." It also could lead to policing of thoughts. That gets dangerous.
Agree that this is no simple problem ....but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
There are ways for forums to try to police themselves like we do here at PH.

Ban people who repeatedly threaten violence and report them to authorities.

Last edited:
Mar 2010
Indiana
Twitter, FB, etc

They make plenty of money from our society and they should be good citizens.
On facebook the other day I had a poster say, "we need to take Soros out." Probably should have reported it, but I blocked the person this person was a friend of so I no longer have access to it.

Jun 2015
In a box of cereal
On facebook the other day I had a poster say, "we need to take Soros out." Probably should have reported it, but I blocked the person this person was a friend of so I no longer have access to it.
I had one person on my feed who was part of that 3% militia stuff. Should have seen the stuff coming out of that one. Only person I've ever reported because their posts were incredibly detailed on 'how they would do it' type stuff. Scary guy.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I see that all the time. Kids on FB are really bad saying stuff like that about other kids too. I just dont know how we report each and every one? 99% will likely never do anything its just either armchair warriors or venting steam.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I see that all the time. Kids on FB are really bad saying stuff like that about other kids too. I just dont know how we report each and every one? 99% will likely never do anything its just either armchair warriors or venting steam.
In this climate of hate and violence I would opt for reporting and the social media should penalize those people just to get them to stop spreading hate.

Additionally, many LEAgencies now have units to specifically investigate internet crimes ......so report things. (let them worry about their caseloads)

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Police already use social media in investigations and obvious posts are reported - as well, the public can report - See Something, Say Something.

Twitter and Facebook have a very strict policy about posting hate.