Should social media be required to report threats to police?

Should social media be required to report threats to police?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Jul 2013
On a happy trail

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I thought Federalist Society-types/libertarians said they like "free speech" even including Black people. I mean how would you know what Farrakhan really believes if you didn't let him open his yap?
That isn't the subject. This isn't a subject about free speech or libertarians, its a subject about reporting people's hateful posts on social media.
Macduff's post was highlighting how even under strict policies some are allowed to post hateful messages.

Farrakhan is and has been free to say what he likes. Free speech doesn't apply to privately owned spaces and has nothing to do with the government in that regard.

It's irrelevant to the subject.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I wish Farrakhan would go away. But me wishing it won't make it so.

That second tweet you posted though. That's a sentiment that is sadly not uncommon from many right wing extremists, including some right here at PH, as well as by guests on various Fox political/business shows.
I'm ok that Twitter gives him a platform. But then they just banned a guy for calling Chelsea Manning a traitor and using the name Bradley. So I wish they'd be consistent with their standards.
But regardless of that, I don't mind Farrakhan's bigotry on display. I don't see the point of taking away his verification either. We should know that it's the genuine article spewing that venom. When people like Farrakhan show the world what kind of trash they are then the politicians who consort with people like that run out of excuses.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I'm ok that Twitter gives him a platform. But then they just banned a guy for calling Chelsea Manning a traitor and using the name Bradley. So I wish they'd be consistent with their standards.
But regardless of that, I don't mind Farrakhan's bigotry on display. I don't see the point of taking away his verification either. We should know that it's the genuine article spewing that venom. When people like Farrakhan show the world what kind of trash they are then the politicians who consort with people like that run out of excuses.
I'm with you on this one. But I'd go crazy if I started expecting consistency on such polarizing issues. I came to terms a long time ago that everyone isn't going to see things my way... and that has to be okay.

I usually like it when people's bigotry, like Farrakhan's here, is exposed. Turning on the light and watching the cockroaches scatter is way preferable to letting people just get away with it in the dark.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
One person mentioned she wished the bombs had gone off killing the receipiants.
I was aghast and asked her whether she was sure she wanted to leave the comment. I let it known I did not find murder funny.
She doubled down and along came a friend who promptly took a screen copy and snagged her photo from her page.
He said he was reporting and I think to SS.
I thanked him and she is probably seriously rethinking her vapid responces to others.

Dec 2015
SoCal
You are a Trump supporter, correct?

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
Twitter, FB, etc

They make plenty of money from our society and they should be good citizens.

I'd say that yes, they should report suspicious, or suspected criminal activity, but I wouldn't want it enshrined in law, as possibilities exist for abuse of said legislation.