Should the Gov't have final say on the first name of your baby?

Sep 2016
My own world
Today a French couple was denied their right to call their baby girl "Liam" on the grounds that the child may confuse her gender as female. In the past the French governement has denied parents the right to call their children anything they deemed could cause potential harm or needless confusion. The following are all names denied to parents that requested them: Manhattan, Nutella, Strawberry and Deamon now all banned in France. The French gov't also has denied any name that uses a language symbol not recognized in the same way or not at all by the French language= Derc’hen, because it contains an apostrophe, and Fañch, because of the tilde placed over the n.

Should the USA pass a similar law to protect children from sometimes silly names or down right stupid names or names that are guaranteed to cause the child problems IE NAZI?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/french-couple-banned-liam-name-baby-girl-gender-confusion-prosecutors-a8241681.html

Sep 2016
My own world
So you do not see the names as essentially a form of child abuse? Can you imagine a child going through life with the name NAZI as their first name? How about Slut, Whore, Bastard or any number of names that I believe some of these nut jobs feel they need to burden their infants with?

PS I can't pick a name to put on my license plate without getting approval from the DMV but my kid I can name anything I want. That makes sense=NOT.

Restrictions vary by state, but most are for the sake of practicality. For example, several states limit the number of characters that can be used due to the limitations of the software used for official record keeping. For similar reasons, some states ban the use of numerical digits or pictograms. A few states ban the use of obscenity. There are also a few states, Kentucky for instance, that have no naming laws whatsoever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_in_the_United_States

Last edited:
Jul 2014
Border Fence
I think this "newspaper" reports a lot of bullshit stories. A judge or court does not make decrees out of thin air. What ever the country, there has to be a precedent in the law, the law has to codified and there has to be a summary judgment.

and a paper trail. Not one court case. Not one court ruling. Not one appeal to a higher court.

Any one can suggest anything. if it not binding by law...then it just a suggestion.

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
So you do not see the names as essentially a form of child abuse? Can you imagine a child going through life with the name NAZI as their first name? How about Slut, Whore, Bastard or any number of names that I believe some of these nut jobs feel they need to burden their infants with?

PS I can't pick a name to put on my license plate without getting approval from the DMV but my kid I can name anything I want. That makes sense=NOT.
No. Not practically. Not essentially.

How about we just round off all the corners in life so that nobody can get hurt?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
The thread is making me laugh.

If i couldn't get Nazi for my baby's name, maybe Johnflesh would be acceptable.

Lol!!
I don't understand this deep need to make rules for every single thing. It's like people want to be controlled in every step of their lives.

Reactions: 3 people