Should voting be compulsory like in Australia?

Should americans be forced to vote?

• Yes it would change politics.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 2011
Pueblo, Colorado
Should voting be compulsory like in Australia? Do you believe that we in america should make it mandatory to vote? If so why? If not why? I am just wondering.

Sep 2009
It'd be interesting. Although, like in Australia, we'd get issues... like drunk voting.

I imagine we should first try to make Election Day a national no-work holiday. That, or put Election Day on a Saturday. A system of proportional representation has also show to drastically improve voter turnout.

Seraphima

Former Staff
Aug 2010
I consider voting a freedom. It would be nice if all of the individuals in a nation educated themselves and decided to vote, (especially because some groups have had to fight so hard for the right to) but it should not be mandatory.

K

katiegrrl0

It'd be interesting. Although, like in Australia, we'd get issues... like drunk voting.

I imagine we should first try to make Election Day a national no-work holiday. That, or put Election Day on a Saturday. A system of proportional representation has also show to drastically improve voter turnout.
I do agree that your elections should be held on a day off. The employees that show there voters receipt at work would get the day with pay. Those that do not have a receipt (did not vote) should not get paid for the day.

Mar 2010
Crybaby liberal thread, lol. Not sure compulsory voting is a liberal ideal, but I thought that was funny. As bad idea as that would be, it could be slightly mitigated if you also made being politically informed compulsory.

Jan 2011
Pueblo, Colorado
We have drunk voting now. How do you think GW Bush got into office? I am just curious how different campaigns would be.

Mar 2010
We have drunk voting now. How do you think GW Bush got into office? I am just curious how different campaigns would be.
The GOP would be a fringe party, the Dems a right wing party, and there'd be a new leftist party (social democratic ie europe), assuming the young and minority voters do their usual thing.

Feb 2010

I suspect not having elections on a Saturday probably skews the polls towards a more conservative result. I was shocked when I found out it wasn't the norm .... during the Thatcher years in Britian it was seen as one of the reasons why Thatcher kept getting back in. a lot of people just didn't get to vote.

I suspect you would get drunk voting anyway - I don't think the incidence is that high here.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
My outsiders opinion, the worst possible thin that could happen to American politics would be more disinterested people voting for the same two parties. Make it mandatory to vote you're now officially enforcing what has unfortunately been the case all our lives... "choose between the Republicans and the Democrats. Nothing more. Ever. That's it and they both despise you and think you're a fucking moron. Now vote for one of those two or we'll fine you"

If you good folks could just not vote when you don't actually support a party the there would be this HUGE incentive for third, fourth, fifth , sixth parties to form. Right now everyone who hates the two main bastard parties just goes and votes for the one they detest less. STOP DOING THAT. If you don't support any of the options then don't vote. Yes the worse party will win but they and everyone else will know that only 25% of the nation voted and only 15% for them. It will be a clear message "anyone who actually represents us will be able to take the next election".

You gotta sell your vote to whoever pays you the most for it. NOT decide to give it away and then choose one loser form amongst the lying sack of shit creeps and retards that show up to claim it.

Feb 2010
My outsiders opinion, the worst possible thin that could happen to American politics would be more disinterested people voting for the same two parties. Make it mandatory to vote you're now officially enforcing what has unfortunately been the case all our lives... "choose between the Republicans and the Democrats. Nothing more. Ever. That's it and they both despise you and think you're a fucking moron. Now vote for one of those two or we'll fine you"

If you good folks could just not vote when you don't actually support a party the there would be this HUGE incentive for third, fourth, fifth , sixth parties to form. Right now everyone who hates the two main bastard parties just goes and votes for the one they detest less. STOP DOING THAT. If you don't support any of the options then don't vote. Yes the worse party will win but they and everyone else will know that only 25% of the nation voted and only 15% for them. It will be a clear message "anyone who actually represents us will be able to take the next election".

You gotta sell your vote to whoever pays you the most for it. NOT decide to give it away and then choose one loser form amongst the lying sack of shit creeps and retards that show up to claim it.
don't know - it might make it likely that smaller parties grow. from what i understand people who vote in a non compulsory system usually either use the vote as a positive for their preferred party, or a negative against the most hated. in a compulsory system thre might be more incentive for people to push for real representation. not necessarily - but in recent years here we have seen a growth in support for minor parties and independents. thats why we were more than two weeks without a PM .... and its why the greens have so much influence in the senate.