Should we eliminate ethnicity and race?

May 2013
Not on this forum anymore
Not sure if you are aware of the dispute going on, some believe that we should not use the term 'race' as it is not politically correct [or useful genetically], and instead use the term 'ethnicity', however ethnicity is language and culture based. The problem with both terms is that there is little evidence to justify ethnic or racial distinctions i.e. you can't adequately determine what makes up an ethnicity or a race, or get much accurate information by genetic research based on race or ethnicity. Which brings me to the point that should the terms 'race' and 'ethnicity' be removed as terms, or should they continue to be used to measure and divide populations?

New genetic data has enabled scientists to re-examine the relationship between human genetic variation and 'race'. We review the results of genetic analyses that show that human genetic variation is geographically structured, in accord with historical patterns of gene flow and genetic drift. Analysis of many loci now yields reasonably accurate estimates of genetic similarity among individuals, rather than populations. Clustering of individuals is correlated with geographic origin or ancestry. These clusters are also correlated with some traditional concepts of race, but the correlations are imperfect because genetic variation tends to be distributed in a continuous, overlapping fashion among populations. Therefore, ancestry, or even race, may in some cases prove useful in the biomedical setting, but direct assessment of disease-related genetic variation will ultimately yield more accurate and beneficial information.
Genetic variation, classification and 'race' - Nature Genetics
^Old article.

Last edited:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I read an article where they were saying soon they will be able to manipulate DNA so a child can grow and be tall, blue eyed, female, male etc. The one geneticist was saying oh it will be great there won't be any strife we can all eventually look similar and there won't be racial or ethnic divides. All I could think was yuck how boring, if everyone looked similar.

Reactions: Akosikojak
Sep 2012
SoCal

You will note that your chart says "data for native populations collected...prior to 1940. Absolutely not valid today, and doubtful of validity even in 1940...

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure if you are aware of the dispute going on, some believe that we should not use the term 'race' as it is not politically correct [or useful genetically], and instead use the term 'ethnicity', however ethnicity is language and culture based. The problem with both terms is that there is little evidence to justify ethnic or racial distinctions i.e. you can't adequately determine what makes up an ethnicity or a race, or get much accurate information by genetic research based on race or ethnicity. Which brings me to the point that should the terms 'race' and 'ethnicity' be removed as terms, or should they continue to be used to measure and divide populations?

Genetic variation, classification and 'race' - Nature Genetics
^Old article.
This reminds me of a story about a woman who was on a talk show. She was talking about some people in South Africa of different races. Now the races of the people were relevent to the story and helpful in identifying them. But she didn't want to use the term 'black' because that wasn't progressive enough or something. After stumbling a bit, she finally came up with "African American South African".

Reactions: BarKnuckles

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Life is going to be so much easier when we can just call each other by our names.
Don't worry though. There will still be conflicts. Look at Ireland. Everyone was the same race and ethnicity there so they fought over being Protestant or Catholic. The lesson here is when it comes to figuring out a reason to hate each other, people will improvise if they have to.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
I detest these types of discussions. "Should" we elminate ethnicity and race.

"Should" is a morality word, the answer depends on what you think is "good" or "bad".

The more important and immediate question before the "should", is can we eliminate ethnicity and race.

If the answer to the "can" part is "no", then the "should" part is irrelevant, it becomes moot.

Reactions: galatin
May 2016
california
Race and ethnicity self views seems likely to become criminal eventually which makes "scientists" the new law makers. For your own good of course.

Dec 2013
Switzerland
In most European countries it si forbidden to mention race or ethnicity on any official document. For me it is something positive which avoids discrimination although discrimination can be based on other elements. My mother in law who lived for some years in Long Island and was Norvegian, when coming to the USA always refused to put "caucasian" on forms she had to fill when entering the USA. She did not want to participate to some kind of a discrimination.