Shutdown forces owners to leave Lake Mead homes

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Shutdown forces owners to leave Lake Mead homes

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/government/shutdown-forces-owners-leave-lake-mead-homes

Bob Hitchcock is in his “least favorite place” these days — inside his landlocked Las Vegas home instead of at his cabin on the North Shore of Lake Mead, tooling around with old engines in his garage.

He’s one of an estimated 60 families with vacation homes along the lake who were given notice by the National Park Service earlier this week to gather their stuff and leave, according to Christie Vanover, a spokeswoman for the Lake Mead Recreational Area.

The homes — from Stewart’s Point on the north to Katherine’s Landing and Temple Bar on the south — sit on federal land.

As a result, the federal government shutdown left Hitchcock just 24 hours to evacuate his two-bedroom, two bath cabin in Stewart’s Point, about 70 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

Although Vanover couldn’t put an exact number on how many residents were actually living in their vacation homes at the time of the government’s closure, she wanted to make one thing clear: “They are all vacation homes and everybody who lives in them are considered visitors,” she said. “If anybody needs to gather their personal belongings, we’re not going to deny them access. They can go do that. They just can’t spend the nights there or have barbecues during the day.

I ask again.... What justification is there for evicting these people due to a shutdown when they were not evicted during the last shutdown?

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2010
Virginia
I ask again.... What justification is there for evicting these people due to a shutdown when they were not evicted during the last shutdown?
Parkland owned by the government. You can whinge about how "damned inconvenient" the policies you espouse have become...but the fact remains that everything that is happening is a direct result of those policies. The right could end it today by passing a clean CR.

Reactions: 3 people

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Parkland owned by the government. You can whinge about how "damned inconvenient" the policies you espouse have become...but the fact remains that everything that is happening is a direct result of those policies. The right could end it today by passing a clean CR.

Omce again. Avoiding my question i see,

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I ask you again, what did you think a shutdown would mean? Did you honestly not realize that private industry would be affected? What were you thinking? Or did you actually think about it at all?

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2010
Virginia
I ask you again, what did you think a shutdown would mean? Did you honestly not realize that private industry would be affected? What were you thinking? Or did you actually think about it at all?
Go with option b.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

Why wasnt it shut down in 96?

If your answer is "appropriations bill" i already destroyed that using the link you provided.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
What exposing where all you libs magically came up with the same talking points?
When the sun comes out, many people may comment on it.....not because they read something but because they can see it with their own eyes!

Edit: You have my word that I have not read Daily Kos or seen John Stewart on this.
My thoughts are my own. (accusing people of mindlessly parroting what they hear is insulting)

Last edited: