Simple abortion question

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
I don't think anyone argues that a fetus isn't living, just that it isn't yet a person.
Right. A fetus doesn't become a person unless a woman chooses to carry it to term, and is medically capable of doing so.

Whether aborted, miscarried or simply not developed to the point of independent survival, the difference is the same. It is not an independent organism.

Add in the fact that all kinds of cultures and faith traditions have held throughout history that the SOUL and STATE OF BEING isn't present until the first breath.

Some traditions, likely influenced by a time where infant mortality simply happened on the basis of a coin flip, have held BAPTISM or the like is required to confer "humanity."

Add in the fact that if abortion is banned, it will still occur: Those who can afford a black market abortion will get one no problem, and those who can't will get desperate.

A woman resolved to terminate a pregnancy isn't something the government can realistically restrain. And this is ultimately about the role of the state.

Mar 2019
God's Country
If we call bacteria on mars life, how come we dont do the same for a heartbeat on earth? Cognitive dissonance or what?
Those that support the murder of babies haven't even reached the first rung of morality.

This is once again another slippery slope put forth by the left. Remember when the left told us that they just wanted what they called "responsible abortion?" Now they are pushing to do it no matter the trimester or even killing the baby, if the abortion was botched and the baby was born alive.

Mar 2019
God's Country
Proverbs 24:11-12

11 Rescue those who are being taken away to death;
hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.
12 If you say, “Behold, we did not know this,”
does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?
Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it,
and will he not repay man according to his work?

Jun 2013
Here
Proverbs 24:11-12

11 Rescue those who are being taken away to death;
hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.
12 If you say, “Behold, we did not know this,”
does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?
Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it,
and will he not repay man according to his work?
Starving Children - Google Search

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
The New Colossus - Statue Of Liberty National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Jesus and the rich young man:

"In Matthew, a rich young man asks Jesus what actions bring eternal life. First Jesus advises the man to obey the commandments. When the man responds that he already observes them, and asks what else he can do, Jesus adds:"

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."[4]
"Luke has a similar episode and states that:"

"When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven."[5]
Jesus and the rich young man - Wikipedia