Smollett Pleads Not Guilty on 16 Counts

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty in a Chicago courtroom Thursday on 16 charges stemming from an alleged hate crime hoax.

Smollett's lawyer Tina Glandian, entered the plea on Smollett’s behalf just hours after Judge Steven Watkins was assigned the high-profile case. The next court date was scheduled for April 17.

Smollett was initially charged with one count of lying to the authorities on Feb. 20. Last week, a grand jury indicted Smollett on 16 felony counts of lying to authorities - eight counts from what he told the officer who responded to the report of the attack and eight from what he later told a detective about being the victim of a brutal racist and homophobic beating by two masked men in downtown Chicago back in January.

Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty on 16 counts of disorderly conduct stemming from alleged hate crime hoax

Does anyone think Smollett's attorneys can convince a Jury that Smollett didn't do what he's charged with?

May 2012
By the wall
Nope and he is taking the wrong tact here.

I read an interview with some hiring guy in Hollywood that said that Smollett may still be hirable if he owns up to what he does, grovels a lot, and asks for forgiveness but doubling down on this will ensure his career is over.

Admit it, do your prison time, and start over, Hollywood is very forgiving and love comeback stories.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Nope and he is taking the wrong tact here.

I read an interview with some hiring guy in Hollywood that said that Smollett may still be hirable if he owns up to what he does, grovels a lot, and asks for forgiveness but doubling down on this will ensure his career is over.

Admit it, do your prison time, and start over, Hollywood is very forgiving and love comeback stories.
Do you think he will ultimately change his plea?

This seems like a open and close case to me.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Go out with a flash I suppose. And hope they televise the trial? So he can be on TV longer?

I can't even guess how he'd claim not guilty.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Go out with a flash I suppose. And hope they televise the trial? So he can be on TV longer?

I can't even guess how he'd claim not guilty.
I can't either.

But, defense attorneys can sometimes work miracles.

Especially if you're rich.

And, this Smollett guy is without a doublt privileged.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Here’s what a judge should do. Sentence Smollett to two years of community service teaching Gays and Transexuals how not to be a victim for gain. If he just goes to jail he won’t learn anything. He needs to confess what he did was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Here’s what a judge should do. Sentence Smollett to two years of community service teaching Gays and Transexuals how not to be a victim for gain. If he just goes to jail he won’t learn anything. He needs to confess what he did was wrong

He doesn't believe what he did was wrong ....

Nor do most Leftist.

Nov 2008
Washington state
He doesn't believe what he did was wrong ....

Nor do most Leftist.
That’s why a judge should sentence him to community service. If he does a year in jail and pays a $100K fine, he comes out a celebrity and still claims he’s a victim and learns nothing and may even try it again.