Snow Days / Schools

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
How does your area schools deal with snow days?

Our area deals with it a bit strange. And I thought it was strange last year but it is even more strange.
Yesterday we had about 3 inches of snow. Expected 3 inches too. And they cancelled the whole day.
Today we are expecting up to 6 inches by 5pm (on top of yesterday's snow fall) / with heavy snow fall from 10am to 11pm and they had the kids come in for a full day.

And just like last year, they will call all the parents and tell us the buses aren't going to run after all and we have to come get our kids.

Mine are in 3 different schools so this will be an interesting day.

Reactions: The Man
Jan 2014
California

Our area deals with it a bit strange. And I thought it was strange last year but it is even more strange.
Yesterday we had about 3 inches of snow. Expected 3 inches too. And they cancelled the whole day.
Today we are expecting up to 6 inches by 5pm (on top of yesterday's snow fall) / with heavy snow fall from 10am to 11pm and they had the kids come in for a full day.

And just like last year, they will call all the parents and tell us the buses aren't going to run after all and we have to come get our kids.

Mr. Flesh,

Don't really have school aged kids, but I suspect it would be "holy crap. what the hell is that white stuff falling from the sky?"

Related question. How does your area schools deal with uncontrolled wildfires obliterating entire towns and filling the surrounding valley with thick, choking smoke?

Jun 2014
United States

We don't get a lot of snowfall, but in areas that do, isn't it considered more important that the roads have been plowed and salted than whether there is snow falling?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious

We rarely have whole school days cancelled because of snowfall. If it is an overnight storm and the roads aren't ready in the morning, most often they delay the start of school by anywhere from 1-3 hours. I believe the logic is that a partial day doesn't have to be made up but a full day off does. If we lose a full day it isn't going to be because of snow. More than likely it will be because of a long freezing rain event.

Reactions: johnflesh
May 2016
california
I thought all that white stuff falling from the sky was ash. But then the only light to see by in some parts is from the flames so it can be hard to tell.

Reactions: johnflesh

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I recall when I was in high school here, back in BC, we were home free each time there was a bit of snow.

Surprised the hell out of me, I thought like, this is Canada, shouldn't they be used to snow??? why so scared of it??? lol

Try going to school in northern Siberia:
:D

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Mr. Flesh,

Don't really have school aged kids, but I suspect it would be "holy crap. what the hell is that white stuff falling from the sky?"

Related question. How does your area schools deal with uncontrolled wildfires obliterating entire towns and filling the surrounding valley with thick, choking smoke?
Probably the same as any city.

Here is my city back in 2012.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
We don't get a lot of snowfall, but in areas that do, isn't it considered more important that the roads have been plowed and salted than whether there is snow falling?
Often roads are plowed here pretty well but that doesn't include neighborhood streets where the kids live.

And salt works alright but when it is 10 degrees outside it doesn't do much to solid ice.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Often roads are plowed here pretty well but that doesn't include neighborhood streets where the kids live.

And salt works alright but when it is 10 degrees outside it doesn't do much to solid ice.
In Russia, during heavy winters, you often see the municipal workers clearing ice from city streets

One guy would smash the ice with the heavy metal bar; while the other one shovels it to the side after.

Strangely enough, I have yet to see this simple method employed here...

And here in Toronto, it can certainly be an issue; snowfalls have been bad enough, at times, in Toronto, apparently, that they called in Canadian Army troops to help clear it off the streets haha

:D