So... I just learned a lesson about stereotyping and assumptions... lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I was gonna put this in sports, but, it deserves to be up here instead IMHO

Couple days ago, apparently in Serbia, junior (Under 17) ladies' soccer teams from Russia and Switzerland were playing each other; there was a violent confrontation between the captains of both teams

One girl did not want to give up the ball to the other team, despite the referee's call; the other captain simply grabbed it away from her; that one then kicked her in the back; and the former then made her pay with a ferocious right hook to the face

Long story short, both ejected from the game, girl in red left in tears on the sidelines

Another dude originally from Russia showed me the vid. I was like, well, that was some pathetic behaviour by the Russian chick, kick opponent from behind, like a coward, and then cry in the corner when you get hit back... Russians ain't supposed to act that way! :mad:

And then, I see the other guy is grinning and struggling not to laugh at me. I'm like, what the fuck is so funny?

And he goes, "What if I told you its the Swiss who are in the red there?"

:D

As it turns out, Diana Pamen-Tchato is a born and raised Moscow gal, in fact, she is from bloody Chertanovo, my own old neighborhood

Daughter of a Russian mother and African father (who came to Russia, once upon a time, as a foreign student to a Russian university; and then stayed, after meeting her mom and falling in love with her; happens plenty, over there...)

Made the national U17 squad

And became its captain, amazingly enough.

And the Swiss captain, Ella Ljustina, btw, is herself the daughter of Croatian immigrants, ironically

But, anyway, I am looking into my own self... Why was it so surprising, to me, to see a dark skinned girl leading a Russian national team?

It's not even THAT unprecedented, today, in 2019; there have, in fact, been plenty very successful mixed-race people over there, especially in sports, such as Viktor Keyru and his sister Katya (half Russian half Nigerian, I believe) who have played on the men's and women's basketball squads respectively and both distinguished themselves on their courts

Viktor was one of the big stars on the Russian team in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Among other things...

That's basketball, though... Different sport, very different fans, and different attitudes among many players also. Much more, I would say, open to minorities.

Just recently, for example, Pavel Pogrebnyak, a well know national team striker

openly said that it is "laughable" to him to picture a black player competing for Russia; in reference to Ariclenes da Silva Ferreira aka Ari, Brazilian by birth naturalised Russian citizen who recently joined also the national men's squad

Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak's comment on black players 'smells of racism'

There are lots of violent neo Nazis and white supremacists among the soccer fan blocks (ultras) over there too

On numerous occasions, these groups have intimidated the administrators of various FCs against signing non-white players
No joke...

All of this is why it is indeed very shocking to me, to see someone like Diana Pamen-Tchato leading the Russian ladies U-17 team

Shocked, of course, in a pleasant way...

Maybe shit's finally starting to change over there, even in soccer :)

One can only hope...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It's ironic that you would have thought the black girl was Swiss and the blonde was Russian if you were stereotyping them.
Well, Europe has a lot of immigrants from Africa, much more than Russia. Much less unusual to see black players on their various national teams, than a Russian one...

Hell, Team France, who won the World Cup in Russia last year, were pretty much majority African, I believe :)

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Well, Europe has a lot of immigrants from Africa, much more than Russia. Much less unusual to see black players on their various national teams, than a Russian one...

Hell, Team France, who won the World Cup in Russia last year, were pretty much majority African, I believe :)
Here is what I would expect the Swiss team to look like.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Here is what I would expect the Swiss team to look like.

lol That's the Russian CURLING team you are thinking of. I've posted some awesome Maxim magazine pics of em here on PH, in other threads, look it up :D

TBH, in this case, the red uniforms of the Swiss kinda threw me off as well. Many Russian teams, hell, MOST, in most sports, wear red, it's kinda their color. I guess, this time, they put on that weird shade of blue, because the Swiss were in red also, and two red teams out there would just confuse the hell out of everyone haha