Soccer player's father charged with assault after punching opposing team member

Jul 2016
Florida
You would think a crime like this would have made the news rounds more. What would possess grown men to beat up children? Not to mention a military Navy commander?

Father of Virginia Beach sand soccer player charged with punching teen on opposing team

Near the end of a sand soccer game last Saturday at the Oceanfront, two boys on opposing teams began pursuing the ball.
After it went out of bounds, a brawl broke out between the two.

What happened next stunned onlookers, and left some of the players who witnessed it feeling fearful and traumatized. It also led to a hospital visit and stitches for one of the teens, and caused police to arrest the father of the other player.

Jordan Lee Grinnell, 38, of Virginia Beach, was charged with misdemeanor assault, police said. He was released on bond afterward.
It happened at the annual North American Sand Soccer Championship. More than 10,000 players, age 8 and up, participated this year, said Lauren Bland, executive director of Hampton Roads Soccer Council.

Witnesses said they saw Grinnell knock a boy to the ground and punch him in the face.

Timothy Vickerie, 14, of Chester, received four stitches above his right eye and suffered a concussion and bloody lip, according to his mother, Nicole Vickerie. When the eighth-grader returned to the tournament the next day to cheer on his teammates, his eye was swollen shut and bruised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2016
Florida
Slap on the wrist. And he's a recruiter? Really?

Navy chief reportedly beat up kid at youth soccer game

Navy chief sentenced for beating up kid at youth soccer game

Chief Engineman Jordan Lee Grinnell, 38, was sentenced at the Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court hearing to 12 months in jail, with the entire sentence suspended except for 60 days. He will be allowed to serve out the 60 days in jail over the course of 30 consecutive weekends, starting Oct. 19.
Additionally, Grinnell’s probation period includes a requirement of two years good behavior and is barred from any contact with the victim or his family, the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office said.
The chief assigned to Navy Recruiting District Richmond was arrested by Virginia Beach Police in June after charging into his son’s sand soccer match, knocking down Timothy Vickerie, 14, and pummeling the unsuspecting teenager’s face with his fists as Vickerie and his son jostled for the ball.

Apr 2014
Maryland
You would think a crime like this would have made the news rounds more. What would possess grown men to beat up children? Not to mention a military Navy commander?

Father of Virginia Beach sand soccer player charged with punching teen on opposing team

Near the end of a sand soccer game last Saturday at the Oceanfront, two boys on opposing teams began pursuing the ball.
After it went out of bounds, a brawl broke out between the two.

What happened next stunned onlookers, and left some of the players who witnessed it feeling fearful and traumatized. It also led to a hospital visit and stitches for one of the teens, and caused police to arrest the father of the other player.

Jordan Lee Grinnell, 38, of Virginia Beach, was charged with misdemeanor assault, police said. He was released on bond afterward.
It happened at the annual North American Sand Soccer Championship. More than 10,000 players, age 8 and up, participated this year, said Lauren Bland, executive director of Hampton Roads Soccer Council.

Witnesses said they saw Grinnell knock a boy to the ground and punch him in the face.

Timothy Vickerie, 14, of Chester, received four stitches above his right eye and suffered a concussion and bloody lip, according to his mother, Nicole Vickerie. When the eighth-grader returned to the tournament the next day to cheer on his teammates, his eye was swollen shut and bruised.
I

Obviously it was in the news because you’re sharing it what I find more disturbing is the mass shootings that end up on page 5 in the newspapers. Ho-hum another shooting

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I know the feeling of wanting to protect your kid, but that's what sports/games are all about. Letting them act and deal with the consequences autonomously.

Dad said he was sorry immediately - which lets me know he learned fairly quickly that he had fucked up.

I suspect the boys were at each other, or one was bullying the other (total speculation) but that's an opportunity for them to learn something - not beat a kid up. Jeez.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Thread title changed from:

Why Wasn't This In The News?
to
Soccer player's father charged with assault after punching opposing team member

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Not good behavior of a father. You have to let your son fight own battles. Even if he is being bullied. Intervening on his behalf may only make it worse, by making him look like a pussy and a snitch, who needs daddy to defend him from everything...

Given the pics I see in OP, there is also a possibility this was some racial thing, though I am not gonna assume without more evidence.

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
I

Obviously it was in the news because you’re sharing it what I find more disturbing is the mass shootings that end up on page 5 in the newspapers. Ho-hum another shooting

Page 6 is way better than all the young black men shotmdaily in our cities that you never hear a thing about.......

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
Not good behavior of a father. You have to let your son fight own battles. Even if he is being bullied. Intervening on his behalf may only make it worse, by making him look like a pussy and a snitch, who needs daddy to defend him from everything...

Given the pics I see in OP, there is also a possibility this was some racial thing, though I am not gonna assume without more evidence.

This is why soccer sucks. Its mire violent in the stands than the game. I watched a game between nyfc and redbulls at yankee stadium. Several fights in stands and at the end towards the end of the game some thing went down and. Half the players fell tomthe ground and feigned imjury.... magic spray esnued....

Unlike hockey, if you feign an injury for a penalty, someone on the other team will be happy to give you a real one.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
This is why soccer sucks. Its mire violent in the stands than the game. I watched a game between nyfc and redbulls at yankee stadium. Several fights in stands and at the end towards the end of the game some thing went down and. Half the players fell tomthe ground and feigned imjury.... magic spray esnued....

Unlike hockey, if you feign an injury for a penalty, someone on the other team will be happy to give you a real one.
My son is in his 4th year of hockey. Each year they make it loud and clear that they will not tolerate one second of parental-meat head BS. If you do you will not be allowed to attend games or practices. So far we've had zero incidents.