Solar Power Now Cheaper Than The Grid In Hundreds Of Chinese Cities

Jan 2016
Colorado
Couple of key paragraphs from the linked article:

China is also driving down solar prices around the world thanks to the scale of production and learning curve effects, according to Sam Geall, a China climate and energy expert at Chatham House.

"For China, this is mainly driven by national self-interest: the government sees that solar power can help the country enhance energy security and resilience, mitigate urban air pollution, and position the country as the world's leading supplier of the clean technologies of the future," Geall told CNN.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Solar power in China is now cheaper than the grid in hundreds of cities - CNN

Fascinating stuff. China is actually planning to have a solar power satellite up and running by 2050. Japan is also INTENSIVELY looking into that idea. No more worries about the Sun not shining. The Sun shines for 24 hours in space.
Makes you wonder why China has all those coal fired power plants under construction and plans to build hundreds more over the next decade.

It's because solar PV is still cost prohibitive in most places.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Makes you wonder why China has all those coal fired power plants under construction and plans to build hundreds more over the next decade.

It's because solar PV is still cost prohibitive in most places.
Did you even READ the link?!?

China has long relied on coal to meet its energy needs, but has started to close mines and restrict the construction of new coal power plants in recent years, particularly in heavily polluted regions.

Jul 2014
midwest
Don't know why I would care if solar power in China is cheaper than power off the grid in China.

That does not affect me any more than my power costs affect them.

I DO care about how much solar power in my local area costs vs how much power off the grid in my local area costs.

If I were contemplating moving to China, yes, it would be important...

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
The World's First Solar Road Has Officially Crumbled Into a Total Failure

In July, the French daily newspaper Le Monde reported that the 0.6-mile (1 kilometre) solar road was a fiasco.

In December 2016, when the trial road was unveiled, the French Ministry of the Environment called it "unprecedented". French officials said the road, made of photovoltaic panels, would generate electricity to power streetlights in Tourouvre, a local town.

But less than three years later, a report published by Global Construction Review says France's road dream may be over. Cracks have appeared, and in 2018, part of the road had to be demolished due to damage from wear and tear.

Even at its peak, the road was only producing half of the expected energy, because engineers didn't take into consideration rotting leaves falling on the road.

The World's First Solar Road Has Officially Crumbled Into a Total Failure

Jan 2016
Colorado
Don't know why I would care if solar power in China is cheaper than power off the grid in China.

That does not affect me any more than my power costs affect them.

I DO care about how much solar power in my local area costs vs how much power off the grid in my local area costs.

If I were contemplating moving to China, yes, it would be important...
From post #2: China is also driving down solar prices around the world thanks to the scale of production and learning curve effects, according to Sam Geall, a China climate and energy expert at Chatham House.

That's why it affects you. It will affect you in the future. China is mass-producing so many solar panels that the learning curve effects resulting from this mass production is going to drive down the costs of solar panels at breakneck speed. The price of solar energy has already been falling exponentially. [There's even a NAME for that phenomenon: it's called the Swanson Effect.] Within five years, solar power is going to be so dirt-cheap that every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jose in the world will be wanting to switch as soon as possible.

China will control this industry in the future, because of this. Sadly, many Americans seem unconcerned about losing the solar power industry to China. I find that very weird. I guess those are the Americans who think we can go back to coal mines and typewriters, instead of forging ahead into the future.

Jul 2014
midwest
From post #2: China is also driving down solar prices around the world thanks to the scale of production and learning curve effects, according to Sam Geall, a China climate and energy expert at Chatham House.

That's why it affects you. It will affect you in the future. China is mass-producing so many solar panels that the learning curve effects resulting from this mass production is going to drive down the costs of solar panels at breakneck speed. The price of solar energy has already been falling exponentially. [There's even a NAME for that phenomenon: it's called the Swanson Effect.] Within five years, solar power is going to be so dirt-cheap that every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jose in the world will be wanting to switch as soon as possible.

China will control this industry in the future, because of this. Sadly, many Americans seem unconcerned about losing the solar power industry to China. I find that very weird. I guess those are the Americans who think we can go back to coal mines and typewriters, instead of forging ahead into the future.
And, that's great.

Good for China.

In the meantime, I care more about my local electric rates than the rates in China.

Lemmee know when it affects me now instead of some unknown time in the future...

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Solar power is a great supplemental source of electricity. And if/when storage technology advances then solar could/would have an even greater impact on serving the nations needs.

But for now solar is limited to supplemental status. As is wind.

Jan 2016
Colorado
And, that's great.

Good for China.

In the meantime, I care more about my local electric rates than the rates in China.

Lemmee know when it affects me now instead of some unknown time in the future...
I don't know where you live, so I CAN'T comment on when solar will be cost-effective for you. Duh.