Solar Power Now Cheaper Than The Grid In Hundreds Of Chinese Cities

Mar 2010
Indiana
The World's First Solar Road Has Officially Crumbled Into a Total Failure

In July, the French daily newspaper Le Monde reported that the 0.6-mile (1 kilometre) solar road was a fiasco.

In December 2016, when the trial road was unveiled, the French Ministry of the Environment called it "unprecedented". French officials said the road, made of photovoltaic panels, would generate electricity to power streetlights in Tourouvre, a local town.

But less than three years later, a report published by Global Construction Review says France's road dream may be over. Cracks have appeared, and in 2018, part of the road had to be demolished due to damage from wear and tear.

Even at its peak, the road was only producing half of the expected energy, because engineers didn't take into consideration rotting leaves falling on the road.

The World's First Solar Road Has Officially Crumbled Into a Total Failure

Sure glad you didn't have any say in any of the profound breakthroughs in modern civilization when there were initial set backs.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
America dominated the global economy during the Golden Age of Capitalism (~1945 to ~1973) because we were the world leader in science and technology------though the Sputnik Shock caused some doubt about that.

We just didn't try very hard to maintain our LEAD in science and technology. We LET other nations catch up to us. We did that by allowing our educational system to go to HELL, especially at the K-12 level.

Because the rest of the world had been destroyed during WWII, and after we jacked Nazi technology.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
But is it RELIABLE though?

Does only work well in summer months, when there's lots of sunlight?

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
] Within five years, solar power is going to be so dirt-cheap that every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jose in the world will be wanting to switch as soon as possible.

China will control this industry in the future, because of this. Sadly, many Americans seem unconcerned about losing the solar power industry to China. I find that very weird. I guess those are the Americans who think we can go back to coal mines and typewriters, instead of forging ahead into the future.
They were saying that 30 years ago.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Wouldn't this be a dull world if we all agreed all the time?

Or even MOST of the time.
I continue to recommend an Economics 101 class for you. This isn't even controversial among economists. America had NO problem 'competing' against low wage foreign labor during all those years after World War II when we had an enormous trade SURPLUS. Those kind of historical FACTS just blow your idea out of the water. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

Jan 2016
Colorado
They were saying that 30 years ago.
Who is 'they'?!? No, I don't think anyone was saying back in 1989 that solar power was going to be so cheap in five years that everyone would want to convert to it. Find us a link on that if you disagree.

Jul 2014
midwest
I continue to recommend an Economics 101 class for you. This isn't even controversial among economists. America had NO problem 'competing' against low wage foreign labor during all those years after World War II when we had an enormous trade SURPLUS. Those kind of historical FACTS just blow your idea out of the water. Sorry. That's just the way it is.
Should I give my recommendations for where YOU should go?

Nah.

Unless you really, REALLY want to hear em...