Solar Power Now Cheaper Than The Grid In Hundreds Of Chinese Cities

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Who is 'they'?!? No, I don't think anyone was saying back in 1989 that solar power was going to be so cheap in five years that everyone would want to convert to it. Find us a link on that if you disagree.
We have spent hundreds of billions in R&D and green energy subsidies, and there is still no technology on the horizon that makes it economical.

I wish it was feasible, or even close to economical, I would be the first one in line to adopt. You can't justify spending $45k to save $2k a year in electricity.

Everybody Loves Solar Energy, But...
By Michael J. Weiss
  • Sept. 24, 1989

In 1977, announcing his determination to break the nation's dependence on imported oil, President Carter called for a 20 percent reliance on renewable energy resources by the year 2000. He called it ''the moral equivalent of war.'' His Administration initiated a 40 percent residential energy conservation tax credit and a 15 percent commercial tax credit for renewable energy projects. In a symbolic gesture, Carter even installed solar hot-water panels atop the White House.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Makes you wonder why China has all those coal fired power plants under construction and plans to build hundreds more over the next decade.
From the OP:
China has long relied on coal to meet its energy needs, but has started to close mines and restrict the construction of new coal power plants in recent years, particularly in heavily polluted regions.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Should I give my recommendations for where YOU should go?

Nah.

Unless you really, REALLY want to hear em...
When you reject the basic principles of economics, as you are doing here, it is really not all that much different from a person who rejects the laws of physics. High-wage countries can and DO compete.....SUCCESSFULLY......with low-wage countries. That's just a blatant FACT of the world.

You're being stupid here, even though you may not realize it.

Reactions: EnigmaO01
Jan 2016
Colorado
We have spent hundreds of billions in R&D and green energy subsidies, and there is still no technology on the horizon that makes it economical.

I wish it was feasible, or even close to economical, I would be the first one in line to adopt. You can't justify spending $45k to save $2k a year in electricity.

By Michael J. Weiss
  • Sept. 24, 1989

In 1977, announcing his determination to break the nation's dependence on imported oil, President Carter called for a 20 percent reliance on renewable energy resources by the year 2000. He called it ''the moral equivalent of war.'' His Administration initiated a 40 percent residential energy conservation tax credit and a 15 percent commercial tax credit for renewable energy projects. In a symbolic gesture, Carter even installed solar hot-water panels atop the White House.
Your first sentence is utterly stupid, and shows that you are simply not living in the real world, and maybe have no intention of doing so. Were your first sentence true, it would NOT be the case that solar power is the fastest growing source of energy in the world.

DUH!!

Jul 2014
midwest
When you reject the basic principles of economics, as you are doing here, it is really not all that much different from a person who rejects the laws of physics. High-wage countries can and DO compete.....SUCCESSFULLY......with low-wage countries. That's just a blatant FACT of the world.

You're being stupid here, even though you may not realize it.
If I was not such a nice, kind hearted gal, I would tell YOU where I think YOU should go.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Your first sentence is utterly stupid, and shows that you are simply not living in the real world, and maybe have no intention of doing so. Were your first sentence true, it would NOT be the case that solar power is the fastest growing source of energy in the world.

DUH!!
Solar PV is to expensive to be economically feasible in the continental US, that's why you and I don't have solar PV, we can't afford it. We don't need more generation capacity, the only reason solar projects are being build is because of government mandates.

That's why most of China's new generation capacity is fossil fuel powered.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Solar PV is to expensive to be economically feasible in the continental US, that's why you and I don't have solar PV, we can't afford it. We don't need more generation capacity, the only reason solar projects are being build is because of government mandates.

That's why most of China's new generation capacity is fossil fuel powered.
You are simply not living in the real world. In the real world, solar power is BOOMING in America, and is the fastest growing industry in the United States:

2017 Top and Fastest Growing States for Solar Power | EnergySage

Here Are the Top 10 Solar States in the US. Did Yours Make The List?

And those links are a couple of years old! The pace has only picked up since then.

End all the subsidies for fossil fuels, and solar power would be growing at an even faster exponential rate than it already is.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
You are simply not living in the real world. In the real world, solar power is BOOMING in America, and is the fastest growing industry in the United States:

2017 Top and Fastest Growing States for Solar Power | EnergySage

Here Are the Top 10 Solar States in the US. Did Yours Make The List?

And those links are a couple of years old! The pace has only picked up since then.

End all the subsidies for fossil fuels, and solar power would be growing at an even faster exponential rate than it already is.
Solar is only booming because of dumb ass feel good government mandates that increase the cost of our energy bills. California and Germany are good examples of that.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Solar is only booming because of dumb ass feel good government mandates that increase the cost of our energy bills. California and Germany are good examples of that.
False. You are disputing what is actually happening, RIGHT NOW, in the REAL WORLD. Fossil fuels are MUCH more heavily subsidized than solar (or wind) power.