Some moderate Democrats expected to defect when full House votes on impeachment: reports

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
Some moderate Democrats expected to defect when full House votes on impeachment: reports

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday she won’t pressure moderates to vote for impeachment.

"I have no message to them. We are not whipping this legislation, nor would we ever with something like this," Pelosi told reporters, according to The Hill. "They'll make their own decisions. I don't say anything to them."
+++++++

Seems the speaker is headed into damage control mode. The impeachment is going to guarantee trumps re election pelosi is seeing it. To mitigate the damage shes signaled to dems in swing districts to vote how they want to try to save their seats.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Two schools of thought regarding congressional reps.

One argument says that the constituents elect them to make decisions for them independently.

Another argument says their job is to essentially rubber stamp the majority will of their constituents.

I understand and appreciate both, but support the latter. I do not believe a reps vote should tell his district-“Don’t like it, vote me out”

Multiple forces at work here. Congress has the responsibility of oversight vs following the will of ones district vs supporting the party as a united front.

Swing district reps have a Sisyphean task on their hands.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
These votes aren't truly reflective of moral authority, They are often driven by the voter base. A dem elected by a large Republican demograph might not be inclined to vote for impeachment due to voter retaliation.

The Senate: "Not Guilty!"

Trump: "Thank god for blind partisan ditto-heads!"

• Haha
Reactions: the bull59 and Jets
Jul 2014
midwest

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday she won’t pressure moderates to vote for impeachment.

"I have no message to them. We are not whipping this legislation, nor would we ever with something like this," Pelosi told reporters, according to The Hill. "They'll make their own decisions. I don't say anything to them."
+++++++

Seems the speaker is headed into damage control mode. The impeachment is going to guarantee trumps re election pelosi is seeing it. To mitigate the damage shes signaled to dems in swing districts to vote how they want to try to save their seats.
She avoiding the rush, and getting those preemptive excuses ready ahead of time...

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
She avoiding the rush, and getting those preemptive excuses ready ahead of time...

I think she knows its a loser and if those people vote for it, they will lose their seats in the next election. She's in damage control mode.

Jul 2014
midwest
I think she knows its a loser and if those people vote for it, they will lose their seats in the next election. She's in damage control mode.
Exactly.

Keeping their Foney Baloney jobs are their first priority.

They'll do or say anything to stay in power...

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Two schools of thought regarding congressional reps.

One argument says that the constituents elect them to make decisions for them independently.

Another argument says their job is to essentially rubber stamp the majority will of their constituents.

I understand and appreciate both, but support the latter. I do not believe a reps vote should tell his district-“Don’t like it, vote me out”

Multiple forces at work here. Congress has the responsibility of oversight vs following the will of ones district vs supporting the party as a united front.

Swing district reps have a Sisyphean task on their hands.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59 and Jets

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Yeah I dunno. Dems in red states, as always, need to be able to vote the way they need to vote. Jon Bel Edwards advocating against gun control and fighting hard for the pro life cause is still better than any Trump acolyte in the Louisiana governor's mansion, his own obvious belief in these causes notwithstanding.

Yet moderates should be careful here, because if they vote against impeachment, Republicans will still campaign against them. It will win them no favors among the GOP. Yet it will deeply alienate their own base, and whether that translates to a primary challenge or simply lower turnout in November 2020, they can afford neither.

What's obvious now is that there are at least a small handful of Republicans who would be willing to back impeachment if they could avoid the personal political consequences.