Some People Did Something

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Travel is certainly enlightening and entertaining. One only need to realize that good people exist throughout the world, in every society, country, and culture, though. In our modern age of internet information, physical travel isn't as necessary as an open mind, logic based common sense, and a healthy curiosity regarding the world. The vast majority of people just want to live their lives happily and try to leave the world a better place for their progeny.
While I agree with you 100% that good people exist throughout the world, I disagree that they don't need to go. Virtual reality isn't the same as reality. People need to immerse themselves in different cultures, only if for a few months, to comprehend how great we have it in the United States of America.

May 2007
your place
Here is a republican congressman saying “there are too many mosques in this country”. I don’t remember any of the people claiming to be worried about bigotry saying anything on this one.

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The fact is that I did remember the basics of the conversation. I checked post 162 and it does not address why context doesn’t matter

I have provided the dictionary definition of the word “context” and the text of the Muslim woman’s comment. You have used the tactic of dodging a rational discussion about the comments referred to in the Op and instead just made declarations instead. If you can’t calmly and rationally explain why the dictionary is wrong, then that shows there is no attempt at a “conversation” on your part.

The dictionary says that context means that when you look for the meaning of a phrase within a comment then you refer to the phrases before and after to provide clarification. You have dismissed that without providing a reason

You also dodged the question I asked pointing out the forum rules recognize that context matters and that is why it is a violation of PH rules to truncate posts when it changes thier meaning.

In your post that I am responding to you said “I am not going to debate someone”. There was text after that phrase but in this case it is accurate on its own. You have refused to “debate” because debating would mean you are responding to my questions and having a “conversation”. You refuse to do that but instead are resorting to tactics instead. If you could win a debate on this topic then you would actually engage in a debate.

If you want to engage then please point out why the dictionary definition of context does not apply and also why the forum rules on context do not match your position.
Ok now you're just being disingenuous. First you don't remember what I told you. And then after it was explained to you *still* run back to your mindless talking point. I already fucking told you. She was not the victim of 9-11. This idea of a post 9-11 backlash against Muslims is a myth. Not only is she trying to minimize 9-11, she was trying to appropriate it for herself.
You aren't having a conversation. You're spewing the same mindless bullshit "Context uhhhh context". And then when you run into someone with a brain who calls that out you fall back into screeching "bigot!". All while defending a known anti-Semite.
So if you want to have a conversation then stop babbling about context in general and explain specifically why you think the context makes it ok for her to be so dismissive of the 9-11 attacks.

Apr 2018
oregon
While I agree with you 100% that good people exist throughout the world, I disagree that they don't need to go. Virtual reality isn't the same as reality. People need to immerse themselves in different cultures, only if for a few months, to comprehend how great we have it in the United States of America.
True, but not everyone has the financial ability to travel, as enlightening as it may be. The internet is a valuable learning tool for those folks (for everyone, actually).

Jan 2014
California
Point being one Pulse club killer inflated that percentage. The reality is that there are no where near as many Muslim killers as the rest of the population.

This is the real numbers: U.S.: mass shootings by race 1982-2018 | Statista
Ms. Minotaur,

Do you see the oh so many things wrong with your link?

First, and of course, the most obvious, it dishonestly goes back to 1982, when we all know the demographics of the US and of world politics has changed significantly since 2001. That is why I honestly cite figures since then.

Second, it does not define what is called a "Mass shooting." Is it defined by how many kill? How many shot and killed? What are the circumstances? Is a whack job that kills his family, or a failed robbery in which the gunman kills everybody in the store rated the same as the Las Vegas shooter? Hell, if that was the case, the incidence by blacks and latinos may just represent one weekend of drive-bys in Chicago and LA.

Third, the statists isn't broken down by Muslim. If the Muslim extremist is Pakistani, is he counted as Asian? And what does other mean? On the surface, you know the statistic is wrong. It only lists 5 others since 1982, but we all know there have been at least 8 mass shootings committed by Muslims since 2001 alone (not counting 3 bombings, 4 mass knife attacks, and 2 instances of Muslims running over people with cars.)

But bottom line, the reality is the number of incidences conducted by Muslims is at a rate about 20 times higher than their representation in society.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
True, but not everyone has the financial ability to travel, as enlightening as it may be. The internet is a valuable learning tool for those folks (for everyone, actually).
Sure they do, just not "in style". They can join the military or just hitchhike across America with a sleeping bag. It's not like the Sixties; they can coordinate with likeminded people via the Internet to find save havens. All it takes is the will to do.

Unlike our pioneer ancestors, most Americans today don't have the "will to do". They are lazy and comfortable sitting fat in their safe abodes with their internet and cable tv.

May 2007
your place
Ok now you're just being disingenuous. First you don't remember what I told you. And then after it was explained to you *still* run back to your mindless talking point. I already fucking told you. She was not the victim of 9-11. This idea of a post 9-11 backlash against Muslims is a myth. Not only is she trying to minimize 9-11, she was trying to appropriate it for herself.
You aren't having a conversation. You're spewing the same mindless bullshit "Context uhhhh context". And then when you run into someone with a brain who calls that out you fall back into screeching "bigot!". All while defending a known anti-Semite.
So if you want to have a conversation then stop babbling about context in general and explain specifically why you think the context makes it ok for her to be so dismissive of the 9-11 attacks.

You are just spewing. And trying to recharactarize I said. No conversation or sincere debate. You are refusing to answer simple questions. Context is what provided clarification. You don’t want to let her whole comment speak for itself. It’s in plain English. Just because you refuse to acknowledge what she actually said that doesn’t mean you get to insist that everyone else play along.

You have not answered why the forum rules recognize context if it so irrelevant. I can be infracted if I parse your comments in a quote. Is that a bad rule?

If you can’t abswer this simple question it is because you are stumped. I predict you will just spew some more but feel free to surprise me and actually engage in a conversation.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
She wasn't being dismissive unless you keep listening to 'Some people did something' with the context edited out. She is saying some people did that, not us. Stop looking at all Muslims as if they are all responsible.

And the post 9/11 backlash against Muslims is NOT a myth. Your memory has left you. I remember it well.

Oct 2013
USA
Ms. Minotaur,

I see what you mean. Of the mass shooting killing more than 10 in the US since 2001, Muslims have been involved in 20%, even though they only represent 1.1% of the US population. And those Asian, especially southern Asians, have also conducted 20%, even though they only comprise 5.5% of the US population.
Where are you getting your numbers from? According to reliable sources documentation does not even support .05 mass killers as Muslim so I'm not finding your numbers????