SOME Rent Control Is Necessary

Jun 2018
Florida
Yes, I'm a Conservative, and lots of people would say I'm "far-right", but doggone it, SOME Rent Control IS Necessary. We're talking about HOUSING here. This is something people have to have. I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking too well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NY
Yes, I'm a Conservative, and lots of people would say I'm "far-right", but doggone it, SOME Rent Control IS Necessary. We're talking about HOUSING here. This is something people have to have. I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.
So when it interferes with you PERSONALLY, free market and capitalism is no longer your favorite ? Well, tough luck buddy, this is the US of A.

And as for your credit score and low income... did the country fail you ? What about getting up and making something out of and for yourself ? Not your cup of tea ?

1000$ rent per month, gee, that would be blast. I wouldn't even find a room within a shared apartment for that money.

Jan 2014
California

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Mr. rwb,

I agree with you slightly. Unreasonable rent increases is out of line, but the trouble with rent control is it makes a class of people who pay under market prices for rentals. Some, like older people on fixed incomes, need it. Most, however, moved into the apartment years ago, have increased their income many fold, and no longer need the protections of rent control. Or, in my experience, they move out, and sub-rent the apartment for more than their rent control rent.

And from the landlord's standpoint, they no longer see the need to upgrade and maintain the apartment beyond basic repairs. So the apartment just keeps getting worse and worse.

Jun 2018
Florida
So when it interferes with you PERSONALLY, free market and capitalism is no longer your favorite ? Well, tough luck buddy, this is the US of A.

And as for your credit score and low income... did the country fail you ? What about getting up and making something out of and for yourself ? Not your cup of tea ?

1000$ rent per month, gee, that would be blast. I wouldn't even find a room within a shared apartment for that money.
So you're a free market advocate, even in cases of necessity commodities. Just don't ever claim to be a liberal around here again. You just buried that.

As for making something out of and for myself, I did do that to a high degree, when I was middle aged, and owned my own business (started on nearly nothing). But in case you have no idea, when you get old (in your 70s) things are different. Money doesn't come along so easily, for a variety of reasons. You'll find out.

As for your high rents, what about getting up and moving to someplace where they don't rip you off. :D

Jun 2018
Florida

So you're a free market advocate, even in cases of necessity commodities. Just don't ever claim to be a liberal around here again. You just buried that.

As for making something out of and for myself, I did do that to a high degree, when I was middle aged, and owned my own business (started on nearly nothing). But in case you have no idea, when you get old (in your 70s) things are different. Money doesn't come along so easily, for a variety of reasons. You'll find out.

As for your high rents, what about getting up and moving to someplace where they don't rip you off. :D

Jun 2018
Florida
Mr. rwb,

I agree with you slightly. Unreasonable rent increases is out of line, but the trouble with rent control is it makes a class of people who pay under market prices for rentals. Some, like older people on fixed incomes, need it. Most, however, moved into the apartment years ago, have increased their income many fold, and no longer need the protections of rent control. Or, in my experience, they move out, and sub-rent the apartment for more than their rent control rent.

And from the landlord's standpoint, they no longer see the need to upgrade and maintain the apartment beyond basic repairs. So the apartment just keeps getting worse and worse.
I don't see any of these problems. I've been living here 7 years, and none of those problems have occurred. So if our rents continued as they are, or just went up slightly, things would be THE SAME.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NY

Lived the high life at the younger age, no savings made for retirement, huh ?
Yepp, the curse of not have a financial plan... and this country sure did not provide you with the proper principles and education.. always teasing you to spend more, more, more and to live off the credit card... seen this way too often, you poor folks.

and then.. i'm totally fine with rent control.. don't worry about it. I do not qualify for the handouts of the government, but I have full rent control at least.

I decided when I buy, where I buy, at what price I buy, and what size I buy.. so am in full control of my "rent" / mortgage.

And made a huge profit in 5 years off of it already, so thanks for your concerns, buitnot necessary. I would always and again buy in the most expensive real estate markets, where the ROI is also more significant.

Also, I like it here, I can afford it (work provides), and it is part of my retirement plan, so all good.