Sometimes I Really Hate the New York Times

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
It's still one of my go-to sources, and I still hold on to some grudging respect for the Gray Lady, but there are times she really pisses me off. Case in point:

This story, which was in the left corner of today's online front page:

‘There’s a Real Tension.’ Democrats Puzzle Over Whether a Woman Will Beat Trump

“There’s a real tension,” said Neera Tanden, the president of the Center for American Progress and a former policy adviser to Mrs. Clinton. “On one hand, women are leading the resistance and deserve representation. But on the other side, there’s a fear that if misogyny beat Clinton, it can beat other women.”
Sorry. There's no "real tension," because this isn't even a real thing at this point in time.

This is something the Times does every now and then (and I guess most newspapers do, both large and small). It's not really fake news, so much as it is manufactured news. It's a process whereby the writer sets out to get confirmation for a hypothesis...in this case that Democrats are concerned about another female presidential candidate (probably inspired by the number of women elected during the midterms....interviews a bunch of movers and shakers about the topic and then pulls out all the relevant quotes.

The reality, meanwhile, is that Hillary was a lousy candidate, Elizabeth Warren's candidacy was greeted with a yawn and a pat on the head, and...what else?

Oh, that's right....nothing.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
I especially dislike that Haberman woman. She did a lot of damage as far as normalizing Trump goes, and continues to do so on a regular basis.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I especially dislike that Haberman woman. She did a lot of damage as far as normalizing Trump goes, and continues to do so on a regular basis.
Maggie Haberman. I think of her as Trump’s in-print dominatrix.