Song Spotlight

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Hello fellow music lovers, and music history geeks, :nerd:

This thread is for featuring select songs that stand out to you for one reason or another.

"Breakthrough" songs that launched individual groups or even whole genres...

I'm going to start out with this piece by The Spinners who are probably best remembered for their previous hits: "I'll Be Around" and "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love."

This is from the 1975 album "Pick Of The Litter," but none of the other pieces really resemble it, it seems more like something Al Jarreau might have done ten years later in the mid-1980s...

So I see it as kind of ahead of it's time.

Have a song you want to put the spotlight on? Post it here.

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I found this in the bargain bin back in the 70s...

Their 10th album, groups burn out, you know? They often go about ten years and run out of gas and make albums like that one...

It was rather disappointing, but there was that little standout piece, they still had at least one more in them.

I really liked the piece, (although, "potato chips"? I might have substituted "poker chips" if I couldn't find a rhyme...)

Say what you might about Burton Cummings, he is one of the greatest voices in music!

Nice arrangement, and listen to that multi-tracked "discomboborated" guitar solo, very effective.

Reactions: The Man
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here's an album and sound for a group that might be new to some, and for my money this is the standout piece on the album...

I love the "minimalism" here... very still until the chorus.

Reactions: HCProf
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Todd Rundgren had a runaway solo hit: "Hello It's Me," wonderful piece I should post here, he also was considered an engineering genius and saved more than one band's album.

Later in the 70s he had his band "Utopia," which to me seemed almost in search of a "sound," their albums were sort of hodge-podges.

I would have liked to have seen more pieces like this from them.. solid, no messing around, but I guess even geniuses like Todd only have so many super-songs.

Plenty of room in the thread for "one hit wonders" and "music obscura" folks.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is a fairly obscure band from the past, about 1970-71: Curved Air.

Stewart Copeland from the Police played with the band for awhile in the 70s and was also married to the singer. (1982 to 1991.)

And they come up with some pretty strange ideas for songs, an English band, but to me with a kind of "Euro" sound.

A tip: Go ahead and listen to the first part of the number just to get an idea of who they are and what I mean by "Euro-sound,"

But perhaps skip ahead to 2:40 in the vid for a very, very refreshing, wonderful change in the music.

If they could have kept up pieces like that extended passage, I would have been their biggest fan!

Last edited:
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
This was a giant hit back in the day for them, but certainly the standout, one-off for the group.

Carlos Santana's brother Jorge played guitar and co-led the group.

"Suavecito" hit number 8 on the Billboard charts, they had several albums, even as recent as 2004, but none of their other songs even made it on the chart.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Hello fellow music lovers, and music history geeks, :nerd:

This thread is for featuring select songs that stand out to you for one reason or another.

"Breakthrough" songs that launched individual groups or even whole genres...

I'm going to start out with this piece by The Spinners who are probably best remembered for their previous hits: "I'll Be Around" and "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love."

This is from the 1975 album "Pick Of The Litter," but none of the other pieces really resemble it, it seems more like something Al Jarreau might have done ten years later in the mid-1980s...

So I see it as kind of ahead of it's time.

Have a song you want to put the spotlight on? Post it here.

Man, I don't know how many times I've heard that song (but it was a lot), and I never knew that was the Spinners.

Thanks, Thx!

And here's my contribution:

I've loved this song from the first time I heard it and thought Jackson Browne was making his way back to the pop charts. Yeah, it's kind of slow and depressing. But it's also beautiful and true and, unlike so much disposable pop songs these days, actually has something to say.

Reactions: The Man and Thx1138
Jan 2016
Colorado
This was a giant hit back in the day for them, but certainly the standout, one-off for the group.

Carlos Santana's brother Jorge played guitar and co-led the group.

"Suavecito" hit number 8 on the Billboard charts, they had several albums, even as recent as 2004, but none of their other songs even made it on the chart.

I LOVE that song, always have. I wonder what Jorge is up to today......

Reactions: Thx1138
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is a somewhat obscure cover from a band that I'm sure many have heard from before.

Yes doing Simon and Garfunkel's "America," perhaps the first piece they recorded with Steve Howe, and a wonderful harbinger of things to come!

And it wasn't on the Fragile" album either, as far as I know it was put on a past hits compilation album: "Yesterdays" with a lot of nice pieces from the original band with Peter Banks.

Reactions: The Man
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I LOVE that song, always have. I wonder what Jorge is up to today......
Man, I don't know how many times I've heard that song (but it was a lot), and I never knew that was the Spinners.

Thanks, Thx!

And here's my contribution:

I've loved this song from the first time I heard it and thought Jackson Browne was making his way back to the pop charts. Yeah, it's kind of slow and depressing. But it's also beautiful and true and, unlike so much disposable pop songs these days, actually has something to say.
Wow, you're right Raj, good ear, good call, I swear I can hear shades of "Running On Empty" in there.

Sounds like music that might accompany a Civil War doc.

Reactions: Friday13 and raj