Song Spotlight

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I have always been a big J Geils fan. They have crossed many genres' from jazz, rock, pop, and blues. Their shows were always fun and a good time. I saw them the first time in 1980 and the last time 2015 and they performed exactly the same. High energy, fun and grooving.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I LOVE that song, always have. I wonder what Jorge is up to today......
Oh, isn't that a magnificent song?!

There was a time you couldn't drive around town on a southern California summer evening without hearing that coming out of a window.

Yes, there is a lot of Deja-vu attached to that song for me, it really has the power.

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I have always been a big J Geils fan. They have crossed many genres' from jazz, rock, pop, and blues. Their shows were always fun and a good time. I saw them the first time in 1980 and the last time 2015 and they performed exactly the same. High energy, fun and grooving.

Yes, they fuse a lot of different genres into one band, and one might add elements of "funk" to the roster with the first piece there.^

Here's a cover from a song recoded by the "Valentinos" in 1962.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here's a group I have always put in a similar category as The Spinners: high quality, polished R&B that can easily cross over into the "pop" genre.

Sadly they only had two studio albums and a greatest hits album, that song charted at #2 on the "US Hot 100" list, edging out their second hit from the same album, "Treat Her Like A Lady" charting at #3.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here's a song recorded by a pretty famous group that never charted. (and I'm pretty sure those kids didn't play or sing on any album, not a lick, they were actors and were purely for show.)

What a beautiful piece though. (written by a guy named Rupert Holmes, also covered by Wayne Newton in 1972.) (David's is way better, the Wayne Newton one is "rough" by comparison. :))

from Wiki:

"Shortly after this release, which did not chart, Bell Records was sold and renamed Arista. The album was renumbered as Arista 4021, but no new copies were printed. Existing copies were merely shipped under the new Arista code number. Only albums released in 1974 were renumbered; likewise, David Cassidy solo LP's were also renumbered."

And I hope I didn't make anyone vomit. :p

But David Cassidy was a very talented and capable singer, it's too bad he wasn't better compensated because he was a very hard worker too!

(then there was his dad, Jack Cassidy, jealous of his own offspring, same thing happened to Elizabeth Montgomery and her movie star dad Robert Montgomery.)

Last edited:
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
This thread is a home for underrated and overlooked groups and songs.

My old friend Mike Willison discovered this group, "Budgie" (which is what some use to refer to a parakeet) in the bargain bin at Licorice Pizza, (a record store)

We were always looking for new stuff, and these guys had pretty cool album covers, one of the few groups along with Yes to have Roger Dean as an illustrator.

upload image online

A British group, they were often relegated to the "weird," "take a chance on this shit," "near-do-well" category along with Camel, Brian Eno, Vangelis and Kraftwerk...

Poor sods, but that's "show-biz.

Thx :p

Last edited:
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Of course, they don't have to be obscure and overlooked songs and groups like some of the ones I've been posting, it can include very popular groups, very popular songs, any one you feel needs "spotlighting."

Here is a very successful group and a very popular song, but I just LOVE the "exotic" quality in that first melody line from the guitar there, simple but brilliant!

So often good songs are written when someone in the group comes up with a "groove," ya' know what I mean, a nice little loop of notes strung together in a fascinating and often fun way to play.

And everyone kind of plays into this groove, this fascinating bit of melody and adds their bits and they produce a finished product.

Most groups that write their own stuff seem to work this way.

I used to listen to heavy metal back in the early and mid-70s, the good stuff before "big hair" 80s metal...

And the 80s were very much a musical desert for me as far as heavy music goes, THAT stuff, ^ quality grunge got me back into playing music and showed me that "artistry" in the heavy genre was not necessarily dead.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I want to spotlight this guy, Ted Yoder.

Nice song too, I didn't like 80s big hair metal so much, (and please, don't let that stop anyone from spotlighting some if they want) but I have since grown to appreciate 80s pop more and more... it's become "classic."

What a nice and suitable bit of "instrumentation" for that song though.

Yes, we are just "lousy" (in the best sense) with fascinating stuff in this thread, folks!