Song Spotlight

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I mentioned earlier original Yes guitar player Peter Banks, here is Peter doing a "cover" of one of, I guess his own songs that he did with Yes...

John Fogerty ran into somewhat similar problems with his music from CCR, wasn't really allowed to play all the songs he had written himself due to contractual litigations...

(as I recall, John Fogerty was actually being sued for plagiarism for new songs he had written, sued by his old record company for plagiarizing his own songs recorded years ago with that label... :zany:)

How lousy is that, he was both the plaintiff and the defendant!

Yes was not very fair to Peter Banks it seems... they always talk about an 18 member over the years, Yes "family," well they were like wretched siblings to Peter.

They had a "reunion" gig set up, Tony Kaye, the original keyboard player also an ex member was invited to play and played a lot with the band in subsequent years, this would be the only time for Peter though, he was supposed to do the disputed song and hit "Roundabout" with them, but they didn't have any gear set up for him at the last minute... some kind of "mix-up."

But he kicks some ass in that music vid! ^

While Steve Howe on occasion puts "country music" licks into the futuristic progressive music of Yes, fits them in uncannily well, Peter's style was more towards jazz...

And you can hear he is an amazingly fast, fluid, precise, complex and tasteful player...

Heck Steve, sorry, I might have to give the button to Peter after all...

Thx :)

Last edited:
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Yes kicked Peter out, probably for "irreconcilable artistic differences" ($) and adopted worthy Steve Howe, a very hot commodity at the time, he had several very attractive offers...

Yes went on to fame and fortune, "Caesar's Palace, morning glory, silly human race..." and Peter it seemed, was destined for a one-way ticket to "Palookaville."

And he did pass away somewhat broken in 2013. :(

But not long after Yes he formed this band, "Flash" and I wonder if you might remember the hit song they had here...

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Follow-up spotlight: Peter Banks interview, now you can meet the guy I was talking about.

"Well we started out playing a lot of Motown at first..."

"...going back to about 1966 I guess, The Syn were the first serious band I was in... well, the first band with a van..."

:p

There will be more and more of that as the thread goes on, this thread is a regular, all-around, "comprehensive" musical appreciation education!

Thx :nerd:

Last edited:
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
If you would have asked either John Lennon or Paul McCartney who their favorite American group was in 1970, they would have both piped in "My favorite American band... Harry Nilsson."

Same guy who recorded this Jim Webb hit for the 1969 best picture Academy award winnng film Midnight Cowboy.

(people think that was done by Glen Campbell, Jim Webb did write two of Glen Campbell's hits, Witchita Lineman (love that song!) and By The Time I Get To Pheonix, but our song there wasn't one of 'em.)

Same guy who recorded this Pete Ham hit into the Grammy for the greatest love song of the decade for the 1970s...

Oh, he also did this one...

Nilsson.

Last edited:
Jan 2014
California
This was a giant hit back in the day for them, but certainly the standout, one-off for the group.

Carlos Santana's brother Jorge played guitar and co-led the group.

"Suavecito" hit number 8 on the Billboard charts, they had several albums, even as recent as 2004, but none of their other songs even made it on the chart.

Mr. Thx,

Celia Cruz's version is still the standard:

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Mr. Thx,

Sorry, right. Great song, but did not realize they had plagiarized the Queen of Salsa....;)
Because of the one common word, "Suavecito"?

I suppose by that reasoning Van Halen should sue Kris Kross, huh?

Don't give up your day job for a law career.

And this thread is actually set for pure enjoyment and entertainment, so try and simply enjoy yourself without getting on another member's nerves, K?