Song Spotlight

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is something I found along the links, a young lady doing Emerson's Second Impression...

And wow, listen to this thunderous and dynamic tribute version of the Endless Enigma!

*sigh*

And oh my goodness, the young lady is moved to tears and I'm getting a bit choked up myself!!

Thx :)

Reactions: BigLeRoy and Leo2
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Wow, I didn't realize it, but that young lady Rachel Flowers is blind!

Here she is on pipe organ @Leo2

Here is a nice version of Trilogy.

Here is an orchestrated version of Tarkus.

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is a link I found, musicians talking about the 50th anniversary of Yes, what they thought the first time they heard the band.

My story is much the same as theirs... :)

Musical "Impressionism" is what struck me and it seems several others, the music... takes you somewhere, often to unique "places" and "landscapes" of it's own incarnation...

I used to tell my friends that "this is the kind of music they will be making in the future, say 50 years from now as musicianship has advanced." :nerd:

(even the band themselves couldn't live up to that... most bands have about 10 years worth of first-rate material in them...)

And well, it didn't exactly turn out that way, but at least we can still enjoy that level of composition and performing skills today listening to the recordings.

What about you, when's the first time you heard the band and what were your impressions?

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Houston, TX
Being a sometime record producer and an old keyboard player in a couple of bands from the 1960's and early 1970's; I listen to a pretty wide range of music. More than just the music; I watch for the talent. I was watching a TV show the other night, Voice Kids out of Germany and I saw and heard something that absolutely rocked me.

Young duo STUN on The Voice Kids Germany with cover of Radiohead

here is it on YouTube.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
The first US band whose albums I sought out and bought, especially after the Woodstock movie..
It's chilling to think the adults in this clip are all in their seventies now.

Jan 2016
Colorado
The first US band whose albums I sought out and bought, especially after the Woodstock movie..
It's chilling to think the adults in this clip are all in their seventies now.

I'm a big Canned Heat fan, too. My favorite album by them.....by FAR.....is Future Blues. This track, one of their rare hits, is from that recording:

P.S. Some of the people in your video clip are no longer living, sadly.

Jan 2016
Colorado
For comparison to the Canned Heat version above, here is the original of 'Let's Work Together', by the R&B performer Wilbert Harrison. He is also known for his song "Kansas City", which was covered by The Beatles.....

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is a pretty good find for musical history buffs, "The Session Men" talking about well, different sessions. :)

Glen Campbell and others mention working for Phil Spector, they talk about Tommy Tedesco, someone who's articles I used to read in Guitar Player Magazine, (Did a lot of work for Frank Sinatra, basically was his guitar player and a whole lot of others too, him and Glen Campbell were probably the biggest session guitar players ever.)

And they talk about a lot of other stuff too, so enjoy!

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Colorado
I collect Super Audio Compact Discs, or SACDs, which have far superior audio quality to ordinary CDs, and at this point have probably 400 of them, mostly jazz and rock, but also some classical. My latest SACD acquisition, a Japanese import, just arrived in the mail the other day, is a fabulous pressing of the recording Countdown to Ecstasy by Steely Dan, one of my favorite albums by that uber-talented group. Wow! I hear things that I never heard in that recording before, and the sheer clarity is superb. I wish I could translate that to this forum, but of course that cannot be done. Here, though, is one of my favorite tracks from that recording:

I also have a SACD of the Dan's Pretzel Logic and of Gaucho. For some reason, have not yet gotten around to purchasing Aja, although it IS available. I would really like to see them put Can't Buy A Thrill and ESPECIALLY Katy Lied on SACD. And Royal Scam eventually would be nice, too.

Reactions: Thx1138