Song Spotlight

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I collect Super Audio Compact Discs, or SACDs, which have far superior audio quality to ordinary CDs, and at this point have probably 400 of them, mostly jazz and rock, but also some classical. My latest SACD acquisition, a Japanese import, just arrived in the mail the other day, is a fabulous pressing of the recording Countdown to Ecstasy by Steely Dan, one of my favorite albums by that uber-talented group. Wow! I hear things that I never heard in that recording before, and the sheer clarity is superb. I wish I could translate that to this forum, but of course that cannot be done. Here, though, is one of my favorite tracks from that recording:

I also have a SACD of the Dan's Pretzel Logic and of Gaucho. For some reason, have not yet gotten around to purchasing Aja, although it IS available. I would really like to see them put Can't Buy A Thrill and ESPECIALLY Katy Lied on SACD. And Royal Scam eventually would be nice, too.
Great tip guy, and Steely Dan is probably my favorite music, so good to hear, definitely going to check into that! :cool:

Thx :)

Jan 2016
Colorado
Great tip guy, and Steely Dan is probably my favorite music, so good to hear, definitely going to check into that! :cool:

If you're going to try to find that PARTICULAR SACD, you may be out of luck! It seemed to be available only for a brief time! This Japanese company that puts out these so-called SHM SACD's kind of drives me nuts. They sell them through this American outlet called Music Direct. That's where I find them. You can go there and search for SHM SACDs, and you'll find that there are a very few still on offer. [Aja is one of them, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is another that's still available.] When Countdown to Ecstasy first became available about two months ago, they were asking $59.99 for it. I didn't bite. That's just too expensive. Not gonna pay that much for a CD. About two weeks ago, I noticed that the price had dropped to $39.99, and I went for it. Then, just two days later, it was no longer on offer!

For a while, a year or two years ago, they had like 60 or 80 of those SHM SACDs on offer, and I bought a BUNCH of them. A lot of excellent jazz titles, but I also acquired every studio recording by Dire Straits, for example, and those are truly excellent.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
If you're going to try to find that PARTICULAR SACD, you may be out of luck! It seemed to be available only for a brief time! This Japanese company that puts out these so-called SHM SACD's kind of drives me nuts. They sell them through this American outlet called Music Direct. That's where I find them. You can go there and search for SHM SACDs, and you'll find that there are a very few still on offer. [Aja is one of them, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is another that's still available.] When Countdown to Ecstasy first became available about two months ago, they were asking $59.99 for it. I didn't bite. That's just too expensive. Not gonna pay that much for a CD. About two weeks ago, I noticed that the price had dropped to $39.99, and I went for it. Then, just two days later, it was no longer on offer!

For a while, a year or two years ago, they had like 60 or 80 of those SHM SACDs on offer, and I bought a BUNCH of them. A lot of excellent jazz titles, but I also acquired every studio recording by Dire Straits, for example, and those are truly excellent.
What kind of dynamic range do you get on that? CDs are about 96 db...

(Most studio analog master tape was at about 85 db.)

Jan 2016
Colorado
What kind of dynamic range do you get on that? CDs are about 96 db...

(Most studio analog master tape was at about 85 db.)

I believe it is up around 110 db. Don't know if I have seen any actual measurements. If I come across anything, I will get back to you.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I believe it is up around 110 db. Don't know if I have seen any actual measurements. If I come across anything, I will get back to you.
P.S. As of right now, there are only 7 SHM SACDs on sale at Music Direct. Two by Steely Dan (Aja & Gaucho), one by Elton John mentioned earlier, one by John Lennon (Mind Games), and three by the Rolling Stones (Beggar's Banquet, Tattoo You, & Her Satanic Majesties' Request).

However, two other companies continue to produce and sell a LOT of SACDs: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Analogue Productions. And both of them sell through Music Direct as well, and are cheaper, to boot. There are a FEW other smaller companies that occasionally put out SACDs. A very nice issue of Axis: Bold as Love by Jimi Hendrix came out a few months ago, for example, and they promise to put out Are You Experienced? I will certainly buy that when it comes out.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I was going to guess (wistfully) at maybe 110 db, that's about the same dynamic range as a very good quality musical instrument speaker.

Now, I wonder how they would accomplish something like that, perhaps they process it through a very sophisticated "dynamic range expander" and also notch filter out the original tape hiss...?