'South Park' creators offer sarcastic apology after China bans episode: 'We good now China?'

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The creators of "South Park" sarcastically acknowledged Monday the Chinese government's decision to ban clips, episodes and online discussions of the animated show after an episode critical of the country.

The episode "Band in China," which originally aired last Wednesday, satirizes the entertainment and sports industries' willingness to abide by Chinese censors in order to corner its business market.

At one point in the episode, an entertainment executive notes characters can't include Winnie the Pooh in a biopic, because the animated character is "illegal in China because some Chinese students said he looked like the Chinese president." At another, Randy (Trey Parker) is stuck in prison for attempting to bring marijuana into the country to sell. There, he meets Winnie the Pooh, also stuck behind bars.

Creators and stars Parker and Matt Stone issued an "official apology" Monday night, sarcastically slamming the Chinese government's decision to ban not only their episode, but two NBA preseason games set to be played in the country.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone deserve a Presidential Medal of Freedom. I'm not joking.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Exactly.

They are equal opportunity insulters.

Anybody, any religion, any country, any idea.

They attack em all...
They told a funny story about when they were making the movie. Whenever they were told a scene would bump them up to an NC-17 rating, they'd remake it and resubmit it. Only they would make the scene more vulgar than before. Eventually they would get it bumped down to an R rating.
Plus there's that time that they wanted to make Muhammed jokes on South Park but Comedy Central wouldn't let them. Parker and Stone recognized the hypocrisy and frankly cowardice of the show mocking Christians but holding back on mocking Islam. They loudly criticized Comedy Central themselves.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
It is stupid to attempt to intimidate satirists, for one will only get another helping of subtle derision. I love it!

Reactions: johnflesh
Sep 2016
My own world
They told a funny story about when they were making the movie. Whenever they were told a scene would bump them up to an NC-17 rating, they'd remake it and resubmit it. Only they would make the scene more vulgar than before. Eventually they would get it bumped down to an R rating.
Plus there's that time that they wanted to make Muhammed jokes on South Park but Comedy Central wouldn't let them. Parker and Stone recognized the hypocrisy and frankly cowardice of the show mocking Christians but holding back on mocking Islam. They loudly criticized Comedy Central themselves.
Fear of getting killed could have been the main reasoning of that. Given that elected leaders aren't willing to even risk losing their jobs to protect the constitution I'm afraid I am not all that outraged about the people at Comedy Central not willing to risk their lives. it's sad but there you have it, today's reality.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Fear of getting killed could have been the main reasoning of that. Given that elected leaders aren't willing to even risk losing their jobs to protect the constitution I'm afraid I am not all that outraged about the people at Comedy Central not willing to risk their lives. it's sad but there you have it, today's reality.

I know this is a cliché but by giving in to what the terrorists wanted, then Comedy Central handed them a win. What the terrorists want is for their religion to be held over others. South Park has mocked plenty of other religions; Christianity in general, Mormonism, Judaism, Scientology, etc. Cowering to their threats rewarded them. Putting one religion off limits is hypocritical and cowardly. Parker and Stone weren't afraid. Comedy Central was.

Reactions: johnflesh