'South Park' creators offer sarcastic apology after China bans episode: 'We good now China?'

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I know this is a cliché but by giving in to what the terrorists wanted, then Comedy Central handed them a win. What the terrorists want is for their religion to be held over others. South Park has mocked plenty of other religions; Christianity in general, Mormonism, Judaism, Scientology, etc. Cowering to their threats rewarded them. Putting one religion off limits is hypocritical and cowardly. Parker and Stone weren't afraid. Comedy Central was.
I don't blame CC for their stance on it, tbh.
Charlie Hedbo is a good example of what could have, and probably would have happened had they aired it showing the figure.

However since that incident in 2010, CC has taken a more personal role in censoring quite a bit of comedy from a lot of acts that have yet to reach the stature of South Park - who in most cases get to call their own shots.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't blame CC for their stance on it, tbh.
Charlie Hedbo is a good example of what could have, and probably would have happened had they aired it showing the figure.

However since that incident in 2010, CC has taken a more personal role in censoring quite a bit of comedy from a lot of acts that have yet to reach the stature of South Park - who in most cases get to call their own shots.
Thing is, when you reward the terrorists by giving them exactly what they want -which is other religions are subject to mockery and ridicule while theirs is elevated above them to being untouchable- then that won't exactly discourage them. By continuing to mock other religions while not touching Islam, that's basically telling those other religions that you have to be violent terrorists to be given respect.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Thing is, when you reward the terrorists by giving them exactly what they want -which is other religions are subject to mockery and ridicule while theirs is elevated above them to being untouchable- then that won't exactly discourage them. By continuing to mock other religions while not touching Islam, that's basically telling those other religions that you have to be violent terrorists to be given respect.
I see your point but, some view Militant Islam as the sad-boi of religion, who can't take a joke, reacts anytime someone makes fun of them and possibly kills innocent people over it. I don't see the decision by CC as a sign of respect, but one of fear.

It is the same reason stand up comedians don't regularly fit Islam into their acts.

However, if they all did, at once, this fear probably wouldn't last.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I see your point but, some view Militant Islam as the sad-boi of religion, who can't take a joke, reacts anytime someone makes fun of them and possibly kills innocent people over it. I don't see the decision by CC as a sign of respect, but one of fear.

It is the same reason stand up comedians don't regularly fit Islam into their acts.

However, if they all did, at once, this fear probably wouldn't last.
To those people, it's the same thing.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Stone and Parker are fearless.

LOL Agreed. They later admitted they were on acid during the ceremony.

The comedic duo was nominated for Best Original Song, but what really stole the show was their outfits. Parker was wearing a unique version of the dress Jennifer Lopez wore to the Grammys, and Stone was in a pink gown modeled after a dress Gwyneth Paltrow had worn to the Oscars in 1999. They later admitted that they were on acid during the ceremony.

Reactions: Marvin

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I think we agree other than "respect" vs "fear". Antithesis.
Radical Islam does not care. Neither does Communist China for that matter. Violence and oppression get them what they want. Some people go along with it. Whether it's out of fear, like Comedy Central, or greed, like the NBA. Either way, the bad guys achieve their goals. So it's good to see people like Parker and Stone who have the balls to stand up to them.