SPACE TOURISM: how long until this is a reality?

how long to space tourism?

• Total voters
Mar 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
how long until space tourism is a reality? i don't mean like the super-rich... i mean like the average person. HOW LONG TIL this is a reality for the average joe in the street??

remember about 100 years ago- only really the rich could fly on a plane. but now the average person jumps on a plane and flys around the planet on a whim. how long until this happens in space.
maybe in 50 years a family will go to mars for the week on holiday? who knows maybe in 100 years time someone will jump on a space bus and pay 20 quid to go to jupiter for the weekend??
maybe in 200 years a newly married couple with fly to alpha centauri for the weekend whilst they go on their honeymoon. maybe we will have fun hunting expeditions where we go round shooting aliens for sport just like we do to foxes now??

HOW LONG TIL SPACE TOURISM??

Mar 2012
Look at the Saturn V rocket and then look at the capsule that came back. For every pound that goes up it currently costs $10K. bottom line is too much fuel needs to be burned where currently only the most valued uses for rockets can really be considered....

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
Within 50 years, I expect.

In and out of orbit.

Not so certain that something like a "Moon" or "Orbital" hotel will be all that popular, though.

At least not until they can be built larger and with more comfort. Sure, there would be folks like myself, who would spend a nice penny to spend a few days in Space, but....not many are going to spend that kind of money to sit in a tight station for several days.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Without actual destinations, the market for sub-orbital joyrides will fizzle out pretty quickly. You can already experience zero-g flights for about $10k, and the industry is seeing virtually no growth.

Oct 2010
In the empty heads of the right wingers I own
The moon will be the place that sees the start of any kind of tourism. But as Rorschach notes, there will have to be more than just a weekend spent in a pod. And oxygen in sufficient amounts will be problematic, even with CO2 scrubbing.

May 2013
Not on this forum anymore
It already is a reality, but it will take several decades to find better fuel sources; till then it will a basic trip into space. Wouldn't discount the possibility of around the moon and back trips. But affordable? Not unless you want to spend $200,000 or more a trip.

Aug 2013
NYC
It already is a reality, but it will take several decades to find better fuel sources; till then it will a basic trip into space. Wouldn't discount the possibility of around the moon and back trips. But affordable? Not unless you want to spend $200,000 or more a trip.
It's already a possibility. I actually think there would be a HUGE market for space travel already, if it could be done in a much safer manner. I think the problem is people are to focused on keeping the cost down. Anyone that can spend 200,000 to go into space will probably spend 500,000 to do it. The focus should be on product quality not cost.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Within 50 years, I expect.

In and out of orbit.

Not so certain that something like a "Moon" or "Orbital" hotel will be all that popular, though.

At least not until they can be built larger and with more comfort. Sure, there would be folks like myself, who would spend a nice penny to spend a few days in Space, but....not many are going to spend that kind of money to sit in a tight station for several days.
You got that right. Presently space vehicles and the space station are a far cry from Star Trek's Enterprise or the Voyager.

The space station would cause me to feel I'm living in a haven for hoarders.

Last edited: